Chapter 21

Audrey threw herself on her bed and tried to muffle her cries in her pillow. She could hardly remember the last time she felt so hurt by someone's words. She had been called worse by many, but the fact that it had been Ringo who had used that word...it cut her deeply. She sniffed as she sat up. Taking her pillow into her arms, she leaned against the headboard.

"He thinks I'm a whore." She whispered. "A whore." She repeated sadly. She took in a deep breath trying to regain control of herself again. She looked at the photo on her nightstand. It had been so long since she had seen Grace. It was better that way...to stay away from her. Audrey couldn't imagine Grace knowing about the life she led. Moving to Manchester with their Aunt Rose had been the smartest thing Grace could have done. Still, she was worried about her. She knew Frank was using her as leverage to get her to do whatever he wanted. For a second, Audrey had thought he was bluffing. How could he know where to find Grace? She hadn't visited her in years despite Grace's pleas...and she had never told Grace where she was living to keep her safe. But she knew Frank had resources...and if Frank had gone looking for Audrey after all these years, he knew very well he'd need to have a bargaining chip to get her to do what he wanted- and Grace would be his only option. No...Audrey was certain Frank wasn't bluffing...that wasn't his style.

Audrey laid down on her side and cuddled with the pillow. As she thought about everything she had lived in the past months, she couldn't help but get angry. Angry that Frank had been right. He had told her from the very beginning to never get attached to any of her "assignments". And she had broken that rule this time. With everyone. She had grown close to John. Enjoying his company, allowing herself to care about him and his life...letting him become a friend. And Ringo...she had opened her heart to him without even realizing it. She had fought it...told herself countless times to not get involved, tried to keep her distance, but he hadn't made it easy...in fact he had made it absolutely impossible. And now he had seen her with Frank. If he hadn't believed John before about her not being a good catch, he had certainly made it clear now what he thought about her.

"A whore...that's what he thinks of me." she said softly as a tear fell down her face. Despite her wanting to get away from that life, it was evident that is all she'd ever be. She was good at that. She could please a man physically, but she had no idea what it meant to be emotionally involved with someone. After a few minutes, she sat back up. She sniffed and wiped her tears with the back of her hand. She cleared her throat and stood up. She was done sulking about what had happened with Ringo. It was better he had gotten angry with her anyway; now she wouldn't have to worry about explaining Frank to him and she could focus on getting John and Cynthia out of this whole mess.

Audrey walked into her closet and grabbed a change of clothes before going into the bathroom to take a shower. Showering was always a bit therapeutic for her. She somehow felt that she could wash her body of everything she had put it through. It was also a place she could let go and simply cry out her frustrations and sadness. By the time she was out, she felt like a different person. She decided to forget about Ringo for the time being, but it wasn't as easy as she had thought. As she walked out into her living room, she found him sitting there, waiting for her.

She looked at him, surprised to see him there. He gave her a small smile, which quickly faded when she didn't return it. She walked into the kitchen as she put her hair into a ponytail without saying a word. She was putting away some dishes when she felt Ringo walk in.

"Audrey..." he said.

"I thought I told you to leave. Why are you still here?" she said without looking at him.

"We need to talk."

"You've said enough. I don't need to hear anything more."

"Yes you do." Ringo said as he took the plate that was in her hand and set it down.