Chapter 5

“Audrey?  You coming?” Susan asked as the girls got up.

“Oh…yeah.” She responded. 

“Are you okay? You seem distracted.” Pattie asked as the girls followed the crew down to grab some lunch.

“I’m fine…just have some things on my mind.” Audrey confessed.

She had been going over in her mind the conversation she had with John that morning.  She had really jeopardized her chances with him by insulting him and the other Beatles.  She knew she had to apologize and also offer the explanation for her bruised wrist she had failed to think of when he questioned her about it.  She figured she’d see him during lunch and could clear the air with him then. 

When they arrived, George immediately called out to Pattie and invited them to sit at their table. It was a large round table, enough to sit all of them comfortably.  Ringo was not sitting with them and Paul explained he was still not back from filming his scenes.  Audrey ended up sitting across from John, next to Susan, while Pattie took a seat next to George and Prudence sat in the empty seat next to Paul. 

Audrey ate in silence while the rest of the girls chatted and giggled with the boys.  She caught John looking at her a couple of times and tried to focus her attention on the conversation at the table instead.  Coffee and tea were being served at the other side of the room, so John stood up and he and Audrey finally made eye contact.

“You fancy a cuppa?” he asked her.

“Sure.” Audrey responded.

“Right, come’ead then.” John nodded towards the tea station.

Audrey followed John and he poured her a cup before pouring himself one.

“John…I want to apologize….for what happ—“

“Excuse me…just getting a bit of tea.” A young man interrupted Audrey midway her apology.

She was about to continue when another man moved in to get some coffee.

“Let’s sit over here…” John motioned to an empty table that was off to the side and a bit more private. 

Audrey and John sat down and Audrey took a sip of her tea before starting her apology again.

“Like I was saying…I want to apologize for what happened this morning.  It was wrong of me to say what I said and I’m sorry for that.”

“Think nothing of it.” John said and gave her a reassuring wink.

“I don’t really think you guys are arrogant cads…” Audrey said meekly.

John let out a chuckle. “Well that’s a relief!”

Audrey smiled.   She looked down at her tea.  She had been playing with her cup, moving it between her hands, not really having taken more than a sip.

There was silence for a few seconds before John spoke again.

“I know you don’t like me prying, but I’m going to do it anyway…”

Audrey looked up at him.

“What happened to your wrist?”

Audrey had thought out an answer to give to John’s pending question.

“I hit it last night…coming out of the bathroom…accidently knocked it against the door frame…I’m just clumsy like that.” She responded.

John nodded before taking a sip of his tea.  He put his cup down and looked directly at Audrey. 

“Is that what happened to your other wrist?  Knocked it against the bathroom door frame as well?”