Chapter 60

*Payton's POV*
I had two theories about how I could break the 'news' to Brooklyn.

1)Just straight up tell him and hope he doesn't hate me.

Or

2)Completely avoid and ignore him, hoping he would take the hint.

How are you supposed to tell someone that they aren't the one you want anymore? Especially through all of this, and the things that happened in the past, it just seemed so foreign to me.

But I knew one thing, and that was that I wanted to be with Kaden.

The boy who has never hurt me, or ever will, and had stuck by me through my complicated life.

With Brooklyn on the other hand.. there's no guarantee that I won't get screwed over by whatever collateral damage I'm caught in, in our relationship.

I'm cutting my self off from the trouble I don't need in my life, because believe me, I already have trouble consuming me enough as it is.

I decided not to be a complete asshole, and have the decency to tell him in person. I couldn't be that one bitch who cuts it off with someone over text... Or even worse, doesn't tell them at all.

I shot a text to Brooklyn as soon as I got home, soaking wet. I took a hot shower and changed into clean clothes, then plopped onto my bed to text him.

To;Brooklyn
Hey, we should talk, can you come over right now?

I hope that didn't give it away much, I really don't want to be hurting anyone, but if I don't do anything about it, I'll end up being the one getting hurt.

From;Brooklyn
Sure, I'll be over in a few minutes, everything okay?

If only he knew..

I sighed, not responding, and deciding to just get it all over with when he comes over.

A few minutes passed, and I headed downstairs to expect the doorbell to ring any second now. As if on cue, it did and I walked down a few hallways in my large house to open the dark wooded double doors.

"Hey, come in," I gave the best smile I could on the circumstances.

He walked in, and we both went to sit on the couch. I was home alone, seeing as my parents aren't ever home and Sean was probably out with the guys, or even Cara.

I didn't know what was going on with those two, because they both claim that it's 'nothing', but I call bullshit because they're obviously all over each other whenever we all hang out.

I pushed those thoughts aside, making a mental note to dig into Cara's life a bit more later, when I wasn't just about to break it off with someone.

"Uhm," I started, obviously not knowing how to do this. Probably should've thought this through, Payton.

I knew my method of 'I'll study when they hand out the test' was going to break me one day.

"I'm just going to come out and say it, I'm choosing Kaden. Again. There was a clear reason why I did before, which makes it a clear reason for me now. I'm sorry, I really am, I'm just not looking to get hurt again, your fault or not." I looked down at the ground, not daring to look into his eyes, which I knew were filled with hurt by now.

"I get it, I'm sorry that things had to be like this. We can still be friends though, right?" He bit his lip when I finally looked up.

"N-no," I stuttered out, holding back the tears that I knew were coming.

"What?" He asked, looking defeated, when at this point I was shaking.

"I like you Brooklyn, but this wouldn't work. We can't stay friends because I know that I'll keep liking you, and that can't happen. I'm sorry," I tried to swallow, but my throat was just too dry and I felt like I had just gotten hit in the stomach.