Chapter 12: Simple Isn't So Easy

"What do you mean by ex-boyfriend?" Theo asked. I placed a hand on my head while pacing the room with Andrew.

"Well, he is an ex-boyfriend, really. A psycho one at that." I said as I walked over to the TV to turn it off. I need some fresh air, and some really good thinking. "I'm going to get some fresh air." I told Theo and Andrew.

"Vanilla, it's not safe." Andrew said looking at me. I shot him a glare.

"I need to. I'm just going to the backyard. Nothing crazy." I told them. They kept their glares, but allowed me to go. I stepped out on the front porch, and looked into the little pond that was around the house. I leaned onto the railing and admired the moon shining over the landscape.

My life was crazy, very crazy. I was a mass murder, who happens to be with the president's son, who has to kill the president, who is trying to kill me as well.

My life was a nut job. I had to deal with the weight of Theo hating me after I kill his father. I also, now, have to deal with my ex-boyfriend becoming a psycho. All while having to go through a period each month.

"Vanilla?" Someone asked. I looked behind me, and meet gazes with Theo. He walked over to me, and leaned on the railing. "Do you hate me?" He asked.

I looked at him, and he looked back at me.

"I mean it. One second we are good, and then the next we are caught up in lies. Vanilla, what is this?" He asked, his eyes trying to get an answer from me.

I just looked at him, not moving. What could I say? That we were fine? Well, we aren't. I'm keeping lies above his head all the time, that isn't healthy.

"I don't know." I told him. He sighed, and turned back over to looked at the backyard. I did the same thing, not sure what to do.

This was awful. I was like a girl after prom. This is awkward. I hate it. I want to be able to tell Theo stuff because I love him. I don't want to pretend to be something I'm not. I want to be me.

"Vanilla." He said. I felt his hand slip into mine, something metal against my palm. I looked over at him confused. "Promise me that you won't leave me." He told me.

I nodded. He turned towards me grabbing both of my hands, and opening them to hold a ring. "It's a promise ring." He told me. He slipped it on my finger, and I just stared at it, not sure what to say.

"That's so gay." I blurted. I started cracking up, and Theo just looked at me scared.

"I thought girls liked that." He said, blushing in embarrassment.

"Theo, I'm not like most girls. Oh my god, did you get that off of the internet or something. That's so girly!" I said, sitting myself on the ground, at the edge of peeing in my pants.

"Geez Vanilla, it's hard to please you." He complained, and joined me on the ground. I calmed my laughter, and stared at him.

"Gosh Theo, I thought you knew me better than that." I joked. He let out a smile, and grabbed my hand.