Ch. 1 ~ Train Ride

Chapter 1

After getting to Platform 9 and 3/4, Harry, Hermione, and Ron all jumped on the train without a second glance back.  But something felt weird to me.  For some reason, I was jumpy. 

Heaving a great sigh, I stepped on the train and stumbled into the compartment that held my closest friends.  I rushed to the window for one last goodbye to the only real family I had.

Molly and Arthur Weasley stood there, waving frantically at all of us children.  Fred and George Weasley, pranksters infamous at Hogwarts and two of the seven Weasley children, stood there, one waving a little before stopping to chomp on a redvine and another blowing mocking kisses at us.  Next to them, stood the owner of the children's home that I'd lived in for most of my life, Sister Margaret, who is "forced" to go, against her will, though I know she tears up every time the train pulls out of the station.

As the train started moving, we waved until we could no longer see our loved ones.  Finally, when they were out of eyesight, we sat down on the benches in the small room.

Just then, the lady with the trolley came by.  I went up to buy a chocolate frog, but when I got there, a first year, by the looks of it, was buying the apparent last one.  I turned to the lady.

"Um, ma'am? Are there anymore chocolate frogs?" I asked her.  The lady shook her head "no".  Finally, after about a minute of contemplating, I settled for a few Cauldron Cakes and some Licorice Wands.

I handed some money, not really counting it.  When she tried to hand me the change, I waved it off.  "Give the next person in line a Drooble's, on me."

Fortunately for me, it was someone that I liked.  I smiled as Neville Longbottom stumbled over many thank you's before finally tripping over his feet and snagging the gum from the trolley lady's hands.  After he eventually clasped it in his hands, he turned to me once more, tripping over the robes he already had on, and thanked me fifty times more.  I was too busy giggling at the spectacle to even notice Draco Malfoy had stepped out of line as soon as I'd told the trolley lady my plan or how, halfway through my encounter with Neville, he stalked off, red with anger.

------------------------------------------

When we were about five minutes away from the school, I headed to the train's restroom to change into my school attire of long black robes with the Gryffindor crest proudly splayed on the upper left-hand side of the robes, if you were wearing them (the right side if you were looking at it from an observer's point of view), a grey sweater vest, a crisp gold-and-scarlet necktie, black trousers, and fancy black shoes.

However, when I got there, Draco Malfoy was emerging from the boys' side.  I smiled as warmly as I could at the little weasel, which just so happened to be my mouth pressed in a thin line and a quick nod of acknowledgement.

He smiled wide at me, though, showing his pearly whites.  However, the smile did not reach his eyes.  And I wouldn't expect it to.  This is Draco Malfoy we're talking about here.  Hardcore future sadist, he is.

"Hello, Draco," I said tightly to him, straining to sound decently pleasant.  "Having a nice day?  Your summer treat you well?"

But it didn't look like it had.  He had dark circles and bags under his eyes.  He looked paler than usual.  But his eyes were what alarmed me the most was his eyes.  They looked . . . dead.  Lifeless.  His whole being and stature wasn't as distinct and royal-seeming now.  He looked like he was sick and tired and just plain run-down.

However, the politeness, however forced, did catch him off guard a bit.  He stared at me wide-eyed for a milisecond before shaking his head, as if clearing a thought away.

"It was . . . alright," he replied smoothly, tilting his head up a tad.  "I can't seem to complain.  And yours, Potter?"

"Boring as all bloody hell, but other than that, can't complain," I told him with a smirk.

It surprised me when he smiled a little back, though it disappeared as soon as it had flashed across his face.  Frankly, I had now clue why I was trying to make conversation with this boy.  All he'd ever been was cruel to me.  But it brought a strong feeling of pride to have made him smile without having done something embarrassing.

There was a moment of silence before I cleared my throat, breaking it.  "You know, Draco, you can call me Hayley.  You never have before."

At this, something in him must have snapped and his lips distorted into a scowl.  "I'd rather not, Potter," Draco sneered.

He started walking back to his compartment, but stopped halfway there.  He turned back at me, pointing a fingere accusingly at me.  "Don't think this little conversation we had makes us friends.  I'd rather be tortured than have to put up with you and all your obnoxious comlaining all the goddamn bloody time."

Draco spun on his heel once more, and walked down to his compartment, pushing aside an unfortunate first year in his wake.

Something was up, I knew for sure.  What, I had no clue.  But, at that moment, I vowed to find out.

____________________________________________________________________________

A/N:  So, I know this is a short chapter and it's kind of slow, but I promise it will pick up.  I was reading this and I was like, "WHY THE HELL DID I MAKE MALFOY SO FORKING VIOLENT?"  So, yes, I do wish to continue editing this.  And this time, as you can probably tell, the story will have a plot, instead of it just being about Hayley and Draco's jacked up relationship, which I think was total bull.  I honestly don't know how you guys could stand the piece of crap that was this story before.  Jesus, you guys are the fricking best!!!

All my love,

A.