{1}

{1}

"Blue, stay" Owen speaks calmly as he made eye contact with the raptors standing below him. Owen and a raptor named Blue have this certain connection that people can't describe. Mostly because it's a man and dinosaur connection which hasn't been acknowledged since god knows how long. Personally, I can't choose which one I like most.

Growing up I had Owen and these babies by my side and that was it. I lost my parents in a car crash after they were slammed by a drunk driver. I was only 12 then, and growing up they had been by my side.

Ever since I started working here 7 months ago, I have been adjusting to some things, but I was rather comfortable for the most part.

To me, Owen is a big brother I've never had. He watches out for me, but knows when I can take care of myself. Hes a bit strict, but knows when to lay back. He always keeps me company when I need someone, he keeps me out of trouble, he always take care of me. Make sure I treat myself properly.

"Em, pass me the bucket full of the rats." Owen says, his eyes still trained on the raptors. Keeping my sight off the dead rodents, I handed him the bucket.

"Why are you so quiet? What's wrong bud?" He asks, his eyebrows crunching together. I sighed as I watched the raptors devour the meat they had just received.

"Claire! I don't understand why I can't help out more. Shes treating me like im a fragile glass doll. I just want her to know that I'm still able to help, that I'm not pathetic." I breathed out.

"Yeah, but she just wants to protect you. You are the youngest worker for the raptors, she just wants to make sure your safe. She doesn't want you to get injured by our girls."He said rubbing my back in a comforting manner.

"Come one kid, we gotta meet up with Claire she wants to talk to us."

I nodded as I began walking to the stairs. Owen was trailing behind me, flattening out his shirt which was too wrinkled to be fixed.

He looked into a window and attempted to fix his hair. He always tends to do this when we go see Claire. Owen told me they had gone on a date before. That's all he told me though, I had a hunch it did not end well.

"Pig loose!" I heard someone scream. My heart suddenly felt like it fell through my stomach. The girls were chasing the little pig around the cage, the poor thing was scrambling around for its life.

The new teenage employee had tried to grab the pig with a net, but the pig continued to run causing the force was powerful it yanked the employe down into the paddock with the raptors.

Owen instinctively ran into the cage, putting himself in front of the guy who had fallen in. The raptors circled around the two, waiting for them to make a single move. Owen put his hands up as a sign of no harm. I bit down harshly on my lip, hoping he wouldn't do anything else stupid.

"Blue, hold!" He held his hands close to himself. Close enough to show them hes not going to hurt them, but out enough to show that he is still the dominant one out of all of them.

"Are you gonna move your ass or not?!" Owen whispered. The teenager sprinted out of the open gate while the raptors eyes were on their only target, Owen. My heart ached with every breath I breath a took.

One of the girls, 'Charlie' growled exposing her sharp teeth. "Cut the shit Charlie." Owen said sternly while pointing at her with his right hand, keeping his other hand up to the rest.

"Barry, close the gate."

"Owen, I can't lock you in."

"Just do it!" He yelled, still keeping his eyes on them. The gate started to lower slowly. A bead of sweat dropped from my forehead, my anxiety was spiking, my breath was hitching in my throat.

"Hold. Hold." He said making eye contact, seriousness in his eyes. Their eyes softened, he took this little thing of time to swiftly run and slide under the gate. I let out a big breath of air that I didn't know I was holding in.

I looked to the worker in a beanie. "You're new right?" I spat, venom laced in my voice. He nodded his head, still a bit gazed as to what just happened.

"Ever wondered why there was a job opening?" Owen asked, I could hear the strictness in his voice, he let out a small chuckle. I walked up to him and gave him a tight hug. "Youre insane Owen." "I know"

I was about to walk away, but then I smirked as an idea popped into my head. I turned to look towards the employee, who was still on the ground.

"By the way... Never turn your back to the cage."

He slowly turned his head to look back at the cage. Echo had her head through the bars, snapping her teeth. I let out a laugh as he ran away from the bars.

"Great work Em" he said giving me a side hug. "But this is between us, let's not tell Claire." He smiles. I nod in agreement.

Uploaded:August 5th 2015

Edited: October 10th 2016

Edited again: April 22nd, 2018