Chapter 15: Loopholes

Elena's POV

We made it back to Mystic Falls and went straight to the hospital, Jo rode with us in Damon's car because Ric was going to help Matt and Caroline handle Kai, she rode up front next to Damon who was driving while I sat in the back and continued to watch my baby sleep. I started to get a rush of adrenaline, yeah I was stressed out of my mind but it was more of a good thing, I realized that in the past almost nine months I had not vamped (mostly because I would've made myself sick), I hadn't compelled anyone, and I even kept my blood drinking to a minimum. I guess you could say I finally found something more important to me, other than Damon and the blood, then the need to kill. It hadn't never been a very big deal for me to do what I had to after turning but there was just something about him, he was little of me and a little of Damon but still he was still all his own. Looking at him took it all away, the bloodlust, the heighten senses...

I never really thought about how life would be with a baby, I mean after I turned I still wanted kids but I buried those feelings, up until I found out about Jo having twins, then it all just resurfaced and the idea of being with Damon and starting a family was the best thing in the entire world. Even after everything that happened with the cure again I'd dreamed about what it would be like. I'm sitting in the NICU now, the baby is safe, and Damon left to go get coffee and touch base with Alaric again. It's funny, since we've been back Damon has been pretty distant, emotionally he's all in but it's weird it's like every since I asked him if he wanted to hold the baby(which we need to name by the way) he always comes up with a reason not to, the first time I understood with Kai being there and everything but I asked him again once we got here and now he's not here. Damon loves him more than anything, I can see it in his eyes when he looks at him I just want him to realize that he's not as fragile as he looks.

I look up as I heard footsteps coming around the corner, Damon appeared a few seconds later cup of coffee in hand.

"You know we still need to name the kid." he said smiling as he handed me the cup. "Yeah I've been thinking about that." We thought for a minute then, quicker then expected it hit me, John... Jonathan Salvatore."

"Middle name?" he said causally looking as though he already had one in mind or knew what I was thinking.

Grayson was just as much my dad as John was so I think it's very appropriate, in the end we decided to shorten his middle name to Gray, Jonathan Gray Salvatore.

I don't know when I'd fallen asleep but when I woke up, Damon had pulled a chair up as close to Jonathan's bed as he could get it and had his forehead resting lightly against the plastic wall.

"We never thought we'd be able to meet you." I just listened as he talked, "You probably won't like us very much in a few years... but when the truth comes out I need you to know we did everything to protect you." Jo entered the room before he could say anything else and in response I sat up.

"He may be here for a while." Jo said looking from Damon over to me, we both nodded as we exchanged looks. "As long as he's in one piece I'm good." Damon told her, I nodded in agreement . "Can I hold him aga-." The beeping cut me off, Damon froze as Jo moved to the monitor, and with a flip of a switch and the push of a button the sound stopped.

"Sorry, everything's good, and yes you can."

After Jo got the baby settled and made sure he was resting with his head to my chest she left the room.

"You know you'll have to eventually right?" I questioned him after a while.

"What?" He asked seemingly trying to avoid what I was telling him.

"Damon... You're going to have to hold him sooner or later."

"You sure?"

"Am I sure that once you hold him you're going to fall even more in love? I'm not going to lie, I don't know... I just wouldn't be surprised if you did."