Chapter 17: Baby in the Boarding House

3 weeks later...

Damon's POV

"Your turn." I heard Elena say at around five o'clock. It was the second time this week Jonathan woke us up crying. He was surprising easy to deal with at night, most of the time.

"Yeah, I'm on it." As I slid out from under the covers and headed toward the nursery, a project Caroline took on while I was in New Orleans and while Jonathan was in the hospital.

I'd finished painting the crib while Caroline and Elena agreed on a tan color for the walls. Bringing Jonathan home was a very interesting transition, from having him in the hospital hooked up to machines with Jo and other nurses checking in on him around the clock to taking him to the boarding house where... He was ours and we were responsible for anything and everything that happens to him forever(or at least for the next eighteen years). I still don't think the reality of that has hit us yet, and maybe it never will.

Everyone's come to visit over the course of the last three weeks. I thankfully got to go to Ric's to hang with Donavan, and Jeremy while Elena and the rest of the girls did their thing, durning the baby shower. We even sprung Stefan from house arrest. He's staying sane by focusing all his ripper energy on trying to convince Caroline to give him another chance... He's persistent I'll give him that.

"Okay... Hey, it's okay man." I lifted him up holding him close to my bare chest. It took me a few weeks to figure out what worked  when getting him to calm down and what didn't but I think it's safe to say we've got it down. Elena told me last night that Bonnie said once again that she wouldn't be able to come visit, ever since the craziness at the motel with Kai Bonnie hasn't been herself, I tried to explain to Elena that what I did was my only option and I know she gets it, but I also know she loves and trusts Bonnie enough to let her guard down even when it comes to all this, as for me I don't think Bonnie should be around anyone at the moment especially Kai.

"I tied her up, I had no choice. She wouldn't have stopped and Kai would be dead."

"And then so would Jonathan..." Her voice was flat as she spoke.

"Yeah..."

We decided to lock Kai up in the Lockwood's cellar with someone guarding 24/7 while rotating shifts. At first we thought putting Lily and Kai together would make it easier to watch them but then we quickly realized how stupid that was. So mom is still currently in the basement.

"Hey, how are my boys doing?"

"Good." I said smiling, "Elena, I think it's your turn." I said as causally as I could but slowly a laugh escaped me as I had Jonathan over to her and watched her nose scrunched up.

"I think your dad has finally found something that he can't handle buddy."

"Um... Excuse me? I can handle this, I mean this isn't the first time I've changed his diaper."

"I know." Elena said before kissing Jonathan on the check and handing him back to me.

"I'll be in the living room." She left me sitting in the rocking chair with Jonathan staring up at me. "Well I probably need to get you out of this thing before you get mad at me, am I right?" As if on cue his bottom tip stuck out and he let out something that was more a whine then an actual cry. "Okay, okay I gotcha kid."

Elena's POV

Jonathan has been great since we brought him home a few weeks ago.

"I think I'm getting better at that." Damon boasted proudly entering the living room with Jonathan in one arm and a bottle in his other hand.

"Well I'm proud of you." I laughed as I moved down the couch to make room for him.

"I swear this kid can eat!"