Chapter V

The first thing I did in the morning was to check on Ashley. When I got to the medical wing, I found her standing up in an elf dress and her hair was hanging free and straight, making her look more elf than human.

“You! You in the elf clothing, who are you?” I asked jokingly.

“What? Hard to recognize me in elf clothes?” She asked.

“Well, your dresses from home were getting old. Maybe we should burn 'em. It would keep the bugs away.”

“They don't smell!” she said defensively. “Fine, make your little jokes at the expense of the girl who was poisoned.”

“Come on, I'll get you some breakfast.”

“Good I'm hungry.” We went down to the dining circle and I saw Brittney sitting in one of the chairs. “What's she doing here?” Ashley asked, sounding hostile toward her.

“I'm not sure.” I said. “I think she's here because she gave out a vital clue.”

Then my mind came across something.

“Are you jealous of her?” I asked.

“Of course not.” she said. I looked at her and silently asked for the truth.

“Okay, yes I am jealous. She's known you since before we met and I fear that you still have feelings for her.”

“Ashley, whatever Brittney and I had is over. You are the only woman I love. Now and forever.”

“Then why did you say you loved her?”

“What?”

“She came in to check on me and said that you loved her.”

“Because she gave us a clue to the trolls.”

“Clue?”

“Someone is ruling as a king on the troll main land.”

“Oh, I'm sorry I pushed you into that.”

“I'm sorry I didn't tell you about my past with her and I promise, I'll tell you about my past with her.”

“I hope you do. I'd like to know what other women my king was swooning around.”

“What do you mean 'your king'?” I asked.

            She looked as if she was going say something, but stopped. I knew that she wanted me to become full king. The truth was I was scared to rule. I had been able to lead the group, but of leading a kingdom was beyond my league. We went down to breakfast and Adam was telling a group of elf-maidens that his dragon was the father of the eggs.

“C'mon, lover boy, let's eat.” I said, grabbing his shoulder and dragging him to the dining circle.

"Man, why you cramping my style?” He asked.

“Cuz ya need to stay focused on the current mission. Romance comes later, bro.”

“Matthias, we are Dragon Riders. Women fall in love with Dragon Riders. We go out and...”

“If you flirt with them again, I'm gonna demote ya.” I threatened.

“You wouldn't dare.”

“Yeah? Demoted to private.” I said.

“Dang, and you were the Rider of Wind.” Ashley said.

“Hey, shut up, Princess.” Adam said.

“Hey, you don't tell royalty to shut up. Especially to a princess.” Ashley said.

            I smiled at them. They used to bicker and argue back home. Ashley won most of the arguments and Adam won the most pointless arguments. He was the skirt chaser and the clown of the group. After breakfast we decided to go to the beach. Fred wanted to be buried and so we did, all the way up to his neck.