6

I saw Will in his boat and crossed my arms, waiting. He pulled the boat onto the beach.

"For a minute I thought you were going to blow me off." I said, smirking. He chuckled.

"I wouldn't blow you off for anything." He replied. He pulled two large backpacking packs from the boat and pulled both onto his back like it was no problem. Impressive, but useless.

"I can carry one." I said, and he tossed me a yellow pack. I catch it with ease and swing it onto my back. He watched me, mildly impressed.

"That's pretty heavy." He said. I rolled my eyes and said jokingly,

"Wonderful deduction Sherlock. The entrance is that way." I pointed towards a slightly rockier spot on the island and he nodded and started walking. We walked for a while in silence, but being the wonderfully social person I am, I despise silence, so I asked,

"What's your last name?" He looked over and smiled.

"Benjamin. What's yours?"

"Coleson. Favorite color?"

    "Blue, like the Caribbean ocean. You?"

    "Grey, but more of a shark grey than a storm cloud. Favorite......animal?"

    "Easy, dolphin. You?"

    "Oddly enough, llamas." At this he laughed and I punched his shoulder lightly.

    "Don't judge, I just love them! Maybe it's an American thing. Or just a side effect of YouTube. Probably the later. Alright........favorite thing about school so far?"

    "I don't know. It's my first time in a real one." I laughed, but when I saw his face, I saw that he was 100% serious.

    "No way!" I exclaimed.

    "I've been homeschooled all my life, this has literally been my first week at school ever."

    "That's so weird." He looked a bit down, so I giggled. "Not you. I've never been at a real school either. I've only ever been to military school." He sucked in his breath.

    "Wow."

    "Yeah. Wasn't too awful, but I'm glad I don't have to go to another one."

    "I would be too. This way to the entrance?" I have no idea where we are.

    "Yeah, definitely." We reached a brook and I stopped while Will looked it over, then stepped in. He looked back to me, a questioning look on his face.

    "Coming?" He asked. My mind is racing, trying to find a way out of this. Suddenly I see Bella, peeking up from behind a rock. She's mouthing 'stall him'. Alright then.

    "Uh, not yet. I'm going to grab something I left here last time I went through. Go ahead." He looks at me curiously. Oh gosh, I'm going to have to pull the pee card.

    "Goodness. Just go ahead, I'm going to the bathroom." He had a split second of confusion then his face turned red and he nodded awkwardly. He turned to walk away. "Don't turn around!" I yelled. He nodded, even more awkwardly, and crossed the river. I looked over at Bella, who had once again popped up from behind the rock. She pointed her hand at the water and in front of me appeared a bunch of the jello blocks she can make.

    I take a tentative step onto the block and breathe a sigh of relief when it holds. I step from block to block and make it across safely. I turn to give Bella a thumbs up when I see her wobble and fall into the river with a loud splash. I run over to her, but she's already in fish form.

    "Lethia? Are you alright?" Came Will's voice from the jungle. I didn't answer. If I answered, he'd know it was ok to come over, and him coming over would NOT be good. I don't want to lose another friend to this mermaid business.

    "Did you fall in?" I hear Will yell. I grit my teeth and look at Bella. She was full view, and she can't move. I can't answer him, but I can't NOT answer him. I began to panic.

    "I-I'm coming over!" Will called. I heard a sudden rustling from behind me and turned to find Rikki with twigs in her hair and leaves on her clothes. I pointed to Bella and she runs over, using her power to dry her off. We stand up together and take a few steps. I look up to see Will standing in front of us, his mouth agape.

    "Where did you come from?" He asked Rikki and Bella. Rikki gave a fake smile.

    "Oh, Lethia here told us she was coming here with you and I thought, why not help them out a bit? I love spiders and dirt and nature." She grimaced. Will looked at me, confused. I shrugged my shoulders.

    "I guess they really wanted to come." I said. He shrugged back, then pointed to a spot across the island.

    "That's where it is?" He asked me.

    "Yup. That's what I said." I replied quickly. Rikki gave me a dangerous look.

    "Uh, no, it's that way." She pointed to a completely different spot and glared at me. I get the message and was about to correct myself when Bella cut in.

    "No, Lee's right. On we go." I glanced at Rikki, who's now glaring at Bella. Wow that girl has anger issues! Will gestured with his head for me to come, so I run ahead and catch up to him. We walked next to each other, listening to Bella and Rikki squabble behind us. I giggled a bit, and looked at him. He snorts at my laugh. Then we reach the place.

    "This is volcanic rock, it should be here. I think we'll be looking for a tunnel in the rocks, or a crack." Just after he says that I slip, letting out a yelp.

    I slip down a tunnel without warning, sliding into sand with an 'oof.'

    "Lethia? Lethia?!" I heard Will call from above.

    "Down here! I'm alright." I yelled. I'm still sitting in the sand, a bit stunned. I'm just about to stand up when I get hit by something coming down the tunnel.  I spin and land on top of it, dazed. That something turned out to be Will. I lay in confusion on his chest for half a second then get up quickly, blushing. 

I give him a hand and pull him up and away from the entrance. Just then Rikki and Bella come rushing down, tumbling over each other. Will headed to some steps and I followed, only to find that we'd actually found the pool. I mentally face palmed myself and braced myself for the awkward explanation that I knew was coming.

    Oh crap.