29

Rikki texted me early in the morning, my phone buzzing on my nightstand before the sun had even peeked through my windows. I read it groggily, blinking sleep out of my eyes.

    Lethia, Zane is making me come here and help set up. It's hard to be around him alone, would you bring the girls and come rescue me?

    I texted a quick 'I'm coming' and got out of bed, shuffling into my closet and yawning loudly.

    "Uhm, oh whatever." I muttered uncaringly. The spotlight landed on a random shelf and I pulled on the white shorts and light blue tank top it offered, tossing on some sandals to go with it.

     I walked out of my room and collided with Luke, both of us grumbling and tired.

    "You need a ride anywhere?" He asked with a grunt. I shrugged as he grabbed his keys, leading me to the jeep and hopping in. The ride woke me up nicely, whipping my hair around and spraying my face with salty wind (which I wiped up quickly so I didn't go all fishy).

    I got there just when the other girls did, hopping out and waving thankfully to Luke. He just winked and drove away to who-knows-where.

    Cleo, Bella, and I strode in to see Rikki grumbling behind the counter and Zane helping set up something on the stage. I went straight up to her and leaned over the counter.

     "Want to get out?" She sighed.

    "Painfully, but I want to be here for Will. This whole thing is basically a party for his sponsorship." I rolled my eyes and pulled her away from the counter.

    "He'll understand that you can't be around Zane. Come on, let's get your mind off of things." She nods and smiles weakly at us all.

     "Thanks guys. It means a lot." Cleo and I grin at each other. We know exactly where to bring her.

*  *  *

    Cleo, Rikki, and I lugged along buckets of fish at the dolphin show, tossing them to our animals.

    "You know, when you said you were going to take my mind off things I never imagined this." Rikki commented, glancing down at her bucket with a grimace.

    "Have you thought about Zane?" Cleo asked happily. Rikki snorts.

     "No, I've been to busy dragging around fish guts for the past few hours. I kind of came to relax, not work."

    "You can sit and...talk to Ronnie!" I suggested. Ronnie clicked at us as he swam by, waving at us with his flipper. I giggled and blew him a kiss as he chattered away.

I checked my watch and groaned internally. If I don't leave now, I'll be late for Will's diving competition!

"Would you guys mind taking the toys away from Ronnie? I've got to go!" They nod, Rikki more reluctantly.

* * *

I got to the docks just as the other divers in Will's competition walked up the planks. Will himself was leaning against a pole near the edge. I joined him, placing my hand on her shoulder and squeezing it reassuringly.

"Hey, why aren't you out there meeting your competition?" I ask gently, seeing a doubtful look on his face.

"Something Bella said to me earlier. I don't want to compete, it's not who I am. I've turned diving into a job instead of a hobby. If I win, it'll never end."

"No." I shut him down with just a word. "It doesn't have to. Remember why you got into diving in the first place? Because you love it. Do it for you, not anyone else." He thought it over, and a smile crept over his face.

"Thanks Lethia. I needed that."

"I know."

It's not the whole episode, but I wanted to make it mean something instead of shoving it all into one chapter. Sorry for the wait (I know, I know, I'm not good with deadlines) but here it is!