12

At school the next morning I was walking with Bella, listening as she complained to me about the boy we both clearly liked.

    "I just don't get it. I really like Will, but he's always so preoccupied, and I don't think he knows I like him."

    "Yeah, guys can be pretty stupid sometimes. Then again, pretty stupid guys are still pretty." We laughed and she shoved my shoulder.

    "Shut up, he's not like that!" Bella said jokingly. I raised an eyebrow. "Really, he's not!"

    "Who's not what?" Rikki comes up behind me.

    "I think that Bella has a little crush on someone we know." I replied with ease. Rikki laughed as Bella blushed and shook her head.

    "That's not what we were talking about." I gave Rikki a look.

    "But I still think it's true." She laughed again and we all headed to our different classes. The warning bell rang.

    "Crap. Two minutes." I said under my breath. I grabbed my bag and rushed to my classroom, running into Will. Literally. "Sorry, sorry, gonna be late!" I yelled down the hall, still running. I didn't know that I had dropped my new phone, or that Will had picked it up.

Later that day, at home.

    I searched frantically through my bag. It has to be here! I've had it one day! The doorbell rang and I ran to get it and tell whoever it is to go away. I opened the door.

    "Will?" He smiled and held out my phone to me. I snatched it up, and immediately hugged him with all my might. "Thank you so much!!!" I let go and put my phone down on a nearby table, then went back to the door. "Oh! Come in! Sorry, I'm used to people dropping off packages and leaving." He chuckled and crossed the threshold.

    "Your house is amazing!" He said, looking around at all the little things my mom had collected. He looked up to see a chandelier of sea glass hanging overhead. His mouth was open so wide I could have fit my fist in it.

    "Yeah. Which reminds me, I still owe you a swim in the diving pool. Is today clear for you?" He shook his head sadly.

    "No, I'm meeting up with my sister, but I can Saturday. Does that work?" I grinned at him.

    "Yup. Come over anytime after 6. Or, if you want a midnight swim, just, I don't know, tell me." I shrugged and he laughed, potentially at my carefree attitude.

    "I put my number in your phone, I'll text you, alright?" He waved and headed out the door. I closed the door behind him and leaned against it. Oh god what am I doing?! My best friend has a crush on him, and I invited him over?!

I lost my one friend in Michigan because of a boy. It can't, it won't, happen again. But, what's the harm in showing him the diving pool? I have to make good on my promise. I called Bella, to make sure she knew. I didn't want any misunderstandings between us.

    "Hey Lee. I'm waiting for Will, he's still training." I sighed.

    "Sorry, that's partially my fault. I lost my phone earlier and he found it. He just returned it to me. And he's coming to check out the diving pool on Saturday, why don't you sleep over that night so you can impress him in the morning?" I heard Bella give a lighthearted laugh.

    "Sure. Thanks Lee, you're a great friend. My best friend, actually." I grinned.

    "Likewise. Now hang up on me and call that dork!" She laughed and hung up. I gripped my phone tightly, staring at the black screen. Should I have invited her? Yeah, it's the right thing to do. But was it what I really wanted?

The next morning at school

"And then I saw him with some pretty, older girl! He's leading me on!" Bella finished. I winced.

"Are you sure? You know, it could just be his-"

"Miss Coleson? Your mother is at the front desk, she says its urgent." The secretary intruded. I startle at the mention of my mother.

"I've got to go, catch you later!" I waved to Bella and she gave me a half smile. I ran past Will, not making eye contact. I had to, for the sake of my friend.

    "Hey, Lethia! I've been meaning to ask-"

    "Not right now, I've got to see somebody!" I yell over my shoulder. I reach the office and see my mom frowning and tapping her foot. Her eyes lock directly onto me, and her frown deepens.

Her red curls balanced on top of her chocolate brown eyes, her dimples showed in her mess of freckles, and she had dressed herself in black cargo shorts and a dark blue shirt. I hurried over and pasted a smile on my face, trying to seem nonchalant.

    "Hey mom. What's up?"

    "You forgot this at home." She said sternly, passing me a bag. I reached out to grab it but she pulled it back, looking down her nose at me. "We talked about how important it is that you don't forget this."

    "I know, mom. I'm just...getting used to the new system, that's all."

    She nodded and sighed, patting my shoulder and finally passing the bag over to me. With a squeeze of my shoulder, she turned and left, and I turned to head to my class. I glanced down into the bag as I walked. In the bag was a towel, an umbrella, a rain jacket, and something that looked suspiciously like a smoke bomb. I was not unappreciative, but it made something inside of me feel even more tense. This is the life of a teenage mermaid. Never a moment of calm forgetfulness.