Chapter 5: The Ongoing Journey

The morning after Lylla showed up was really difficult. When Wilson and Craig found out that there was a new girl, they weren't exactly excited. "She shows up in the middle of the night, trying to steal Astrid's stuff, and has this big mutt! We won't have room in the truck!" Exclaimed Craig. "Honey, calm down." Amanda said slowly. "Yeah, We'll find a bigger truck!" I added.

     We pulled up the back row of seats for Lylla and Trevor and then had everyone hold some of their stuff on their laps to make room. The drive was short because there was a car dealership right down the road, so we parked and put our things down to go and take a look. Liz found a big, old truck first but none of us knew how to actually drive it, so we didn't go with that one. Then Craig found a truck about the size of our old one but had a little roofless trailer on it. The trailer was useless so we didn't pick that one. Then I found a big pick-up truck with a trailer with a roof on it. This one was absolutely perfect so we went with it. 

     "Good find, Astrid!" Amanda said with a hug. We all went back to the car and grabbed our stuff. Then, we ran to the new truck and everyone but myself got into the trailer. I climbed into the drivers seat and pulled down the visor so that the keys would fall into my lap. Then, as always, I put the key in the ignition, turned it, honked to let everyone know that we were moving and pulled out of the dealership. I turned on the car radio 15 minutes in and started jamming to "Brown Eyed Girl" By Van Morrison. 

      "Slipping and a sliding, all along the waterfall with you, my brown eyed girl. YOU, MY BROWN EYED GIRL!!" I sang loudly. Suddenly, I saw a person run into the road. I slammed on the breaks and heard everyone in the trailer yell. I grabbed my gun and went out of the trailer to get everyone else. 

     "What happened?" Wilson asked. Then he saw the person. "Oh." 

     "Who are you?" I called cautiously. "My name is Jason." He called back. "I'm 21, and I need food and/or water." 

    I looked at him, sensing recognition, then realizing who it was, I called back questioningly. "Are you Jason Phillips?" "Yeah, I am! Do I know you?" He called back. "Yeah, you were my Surfing instructor when I was 9! I'm Astrid McLean!" I called happily. "You were my best student!!" He called excitedly. "Come on then, we have both food and water!' I called openly. He ran to us and I gave hime a hug. "How did you get all the way over here to Ohio?" I asked. "I was originally with a group of friends, but..." He gulped and looked at me sadly. "I'm all alone now." He said quietly. I gave him another hug and he hopped in the trailer with everyone else. "Next stop, California," I yelled reassuringly to the rest of the gang.