Chapter 10: The Cure?

I squirmed myself away from Jason and cautiously walked up to the baby. I didn't get close at all, knowing it might strike with it's adorable chubby cheeks. I picked up some pieces of broken test tube and read the label, careful not to cut myself.
"Formula k9." I mumbled softly.

I looked at Jason with huge eyes.

"Do you know what this means?" I whispered excitedly. "We just found the cure. We just found the cure!"

Every ones' faces absolutely lit up as they realized that this was our salvation. Then, they fell again.

"But we only have that broken bottle with nothing in it! We can't just whip up another batch!" Lylla exclaimed, then added, "Besides, I have nothing to live for anymore."

Parker, Wilson, and Amanda started moving towards her to give her a comforting hug but Lylla threw them "The Eye" and they backed off. I smiled at Lylla then started searching through the chaotic piles of paper on the floors. There were documents with details about the effects of the disease and that it was classified as Virus D1X. I decided to try to organize the different piles into stacks of similar topic. Parker and Liz were up to the idea, and decided to help me out. We spent about 10 minutes sorting the papers until Liz gasped and screamed, "This is the cure! It says Formula k9 at the very top." I crawled towards her and pulled my tangled hair to one shoulder so I could get a better look at it. Parker glanced at it once then started to swiftly move around the room, opening and closing drawers at a breakneck speed, pulling tubes with various chemicals in them out as she went.

"What are you doing?" I asked curiously.

"Combining the components to the Formula k9 so that I can reconstruct the cure." She replied blankly, without an expression on her face. Everyone was looking at her now. We had met her 45 minutes ago and practically knew nothing about her, so this was surprising.

"How do you know how to do that?" Craig asked, his brow furrowed.

"AP Chemistry." She replied, still expressionless. Now we were confused. As far as we knew, Parker was an almost normal 13 year old like Wilson, Liz, Lylla, and myself. 13 year olds didn't take AP classes.

"What?" Jason asked, squinting hs eyes

"I'm sorry, but how old are you again?" Craig asked, obviously confused.

"Thirteen."

"Then how are you in an AP class? I'm not even in an AP class." He asked, slightly raising his voice.

"Well, my parents agreed to let me get a Youtube channel if I bumped my grades up so I started taking online college courses and I got a math tutor and I studied everyday until 7:00 pm and so then I got all 100s in my classes and so I was moved to 8th grade last year, and I did a lot of extra credit work and then I made it into 9th grade and I was on level, but they moved me into gifted and AP classes when I threw a tantrum after working my darn bum off in order to get as far as I did. I finished my work in AP Chem for the year, but then this whole apocalypse crap happened so I couldn't make the channel and my darn parents are dead now," she stopped to take a breath, " so I couldn't fly out of the country and that Thatcher guy couldn't help me because he was a criminal and the police just wanted him to die, and I was stuck on the darn steps waiting for a miracle and then I saw you guys and I thought, "Wow, I'm saved!" but I thought it in a Christopher Walken voice, like, "Wa-OW, I have been... saved. Wa-OW." or like Amy Poehler doing an impression of Christopher Walken, like, "I don't like SpOOky-"

"WE GOT IT!" Everyone yelled in unison.

"Okay." Parker said and just got back to work as if nothing happened. She took her glasses off to see the labels better up close, and then poured them all into a HUGE glass beaker that she found in a cabinet. Then, when she was done, she dropped them (with a dropper) into small glass pellets.

"Someone get me a gun." She requested.

"Why don't you let me handle the guns, Parker." Jason said. We all gave him dirty looks and he handed her his gun. She filled the gun with the pellets and cocked it. Then, she pointed it the wall and pulled the trigger causing it to splatter on a poster of the Table of Elements.

"The pellets break open, but will the cure work?" She asked herself. We followed her out the door and down the hallway until we came to the exit of the giant building.

"Well, here we go." She said nervously. She took a step forward, blinding sunlight engulfing her and shining on her hair. She pointed the gun at the nearest zombie, cocked it, and pulled the trigger.