#1 Family

I got in the parking lot. It was a breezy evening. And just when I was about to get in my black Jeep Wrangler I heard something. There were only just two cars. Christina's BMW and my Jeep. I put my hand over my holster retrieving my gun and aiming forward. But it seemed to be no one was here as I walked around the cars. Just a chilly air, two cars and myself.

I got in my jeep and started the car as I drove out of the unit

I got in my jeep and started the car as I drove out of the unit. I thought I heard footsteps, it was starting to snow too. So it was clear that I heard footsteps but I didn't saw footprints or a shadow either. So I passed by the city and its urban places. Making a little patrol. Just as nothing was happening I went towards my grandparents' house.

They live outside of the city in a little secluded place. It was very peaceful where they live. Of course, with my salary in the station I made sure to have their place safe of anything. I didn't want to have to lose my only family. Their house was made out of wood so it was like a cabin. Just as I pull in their driveway. I could see my grandma figure in her kitchen.

"Momma I'm home" I said as I came in the living room and saw grandma leaning over the counter. She had in front of her a cup of hot cocoa.

"How you doing darling?" I went to her to give her a big hug. "I'm doing fine. Just bored out of my mind."

"Let me guess. No case at hand?" She asked stroking her chin in a thinking pose.

I sighed. "Yes grandma. No case at the station. Strangely... Darren and Sofia got married today and Mr. Greyson gave the day off. Since he was drunk. Everyone complied." I brushed my hands over my hair a bit frustrated. "I passed by the station and thought somebody was in the parking but no one was there. Just Christina's car and mine's. She was kind of annoyed by the wedding. She went but didn't wasted a second in coming to the station. She even was there in uniform." I said laughing shaking my head.

"Well Jaden dear, if she loves her job then let her do it." She said smiling.

I looked at her confused asking. "What are you smiling at momma?"

She laughed. "Oh nothing dear, just being myself. I sometimes think of you two being together since you are so bumping into each other."

How can she say that? It reminds me when Christina was playing games in the station. I clearly must've looked blushed because grandma was cupping my cheeks.

"Now Jaden love, the day that may happen you will make your parents proud. More to your grands, there is nothing more proud for us that seeing you getting married." I smiled a bit. The loss of my parents affected in everything I've done. I truly missed them. "Even if it were with a man." She mused to herself. I looked at her and she was like somewhere else.

"Momma, I don't see myself getting it down with a guy in bed. Not that I'm homophobic but it's not me."

She let go of my cheeks smiling. "So you say you would give a guy a shot? Or even a BJ?"

"Grandma! I don't know where you get this ideas." I laughed at her occurrences.

"Trust me Jaden you'll surely make a great husband whether you be with a guy or a girl. I don't doubt that."

That was something that struck me hard. I felt so happy yet vulnerable thinking about it.

"Thanks momma, I appreciate that. I really do." I looked around. "Where's pa?"

"Oh he's just buying some cigars in town and some stuff. He'll be soon around here."

"Grandma, you could've called me and told me to buy them for you. It really scares me to know that grandpa is outside alone. You know how paranoid I get about it."

"Well I'd be damned. I can still walk and talk son. I can take care of myself." I turned around and saw grandpa with some bags in hand closing the door, giving me a sideway glance.

"I'm sorry pa, but since your incident I've became very paranoid of losing you guys."

He put the bags down and came to me giving me a tight hug and kissing my forehead.

"Jaden Black" he looked at me while grabbing my shoulders. "You know how much we love your parents, no matter what. But we love you more because you are my only grandson that is here with me. Sure you have cousins too. But are they here?" I shook my head. "All that matters is now. Today. Tonight. Right? I can assure you that you won't have to pass again by being scared of losing us. Cause you won't. I can defend myself. I'm not afraid of this world or anyone. Neither death itself. There's no escaping that one son. You are the one in my mind all the time, I pray for you while you're working. Just like your dad. Your dad was the best cop in town. There's no doubt. You're exactly himself. You are following his steps and you are destined for greatness Jaden. You can do anything you want. We will support you in anything. Because that's family are for Jaden. We look out for each other's back no matter what."

I felt my eyes burn and I was somehow being embraced by my grandparents I hugged them tight. His words meant the world for me. I would take a bullet for them.

"You two are the best grandparents I could've asked for. I would give anything for you two see you smile. You are my push in every morning. I know that mom and dad are somewhere near and they are proud of me. I know it. I just miss them that's all."

"We know dear." I helped them get the food in fridge and I made sure myself of them having enough food in it too.

"Pa, I came in to check if you guys need anything. I will be heading home. I'm just a call away. So I'll be going."

"Sure thing son. Thanks for helping. Oh. Just to show you what pops got for himself."

He went to his room like a little kid on Christmas. My grandma was laughing and sipping on her cup of hot cocoa.

My grandpa came back with a rifle with a scope in hand. I looked at it and couldn't stop smiling yet worried about it.

"What do you think of Debbie?"

Oh my God. He named her. I shook my head in disbelief while my grandma was laughing and pa was smiling.

_______________

Francisco Lachowski as Darren Phillips! Isn't he handsome?