#3 Puzzles and more Puzzles

I drove around town for almost 30 minutes trying to think why Darren was at the hospital? I looked at my dash clock and noticed that it was late. It was one forty. Visiting hours I believe was over. I didn't even checked. Maybe he was checking out on Sofia? Maybe she was hospitalized? That can't be, otherwise I would've already knew. Darren tells me everything. He's my best friend since we were kids.

I can't stop thinking as why he was here? Especially at the hospital. I'm getting a headache. This isn't helping me at all. Maybe a nap will.

I drove to my apartment and didn't see the security guard around once I was in. I parked my car and just when I turn around I see the security guard walking around but he approaches me.

- Didn't expected to see you around here at this hour Mr. Black. Everything all right?

I look at my watch and see that it was already two a.m. Time must be flying or is it my headache?

- A little. –I look around and see if anyone was around, it was dark. - Did anyone came here earlier? A female and a male?

- No but there were complaints about some stray dogs around. The dog pound came around to pick them up.

I furrow at what he says. A dog pound?

- Dog pound? Around 6? When the sun was falling down?

- Yes sir. Why? Want to adopt now a puppy Mr. Black? Because they only hold them in less than 24 hour to put them to sleep.

- How many were in the dog pound van?

- Sir it wasn't inside here. Just in the main entrance. Why all the questions?

Should I tell him? I want to find out about the dog pound van at the gate here but. I don't want anyone here snooping in my business also.

- Can I have the surveillance camera tapes from this evening?

The guard seems taken aback from my sudden question.

- It will be just for a while. It can be a copy also, you get to keep the original tape.

- I suppose. – He looks at me for a while. - Is there something that I should know Mr. Black? Is something wrong?

I must've look desperate or crazy but I can't afford anyone knowing this.

- Let's just say it's a test.

- But what about your question on the-

- Never mind about the question. Just a copy and no questions asked – I look at his name tag. – Mr. Devon.

- Ok then... follow me.

-----

The next thing I know is that I'm hiding a CD where a video is recorded from the surveillance camera the security guard gave me. Well I ordered him to give me a copy. Good thing those recorded videos are in a computer and not old VCR tapes.

I hid the CD in a small box that my grandmother gave me with some little antiques. I have them stored safely in a hidden compartment inside the walk in closet.

I stripped off of my clothes and threw myself in the bed. I look at the ceiling as I feel myself drift to sleep. I think a few minutes passed when I hear the cellphone vibrating. I reach over the nightstand as I grab my cellphone. I look on the screen as it displays the ID caller. Darren. I swipe to respond and put the phone to my ear.

"Jaden are you ok?" there's a silence on the other end

"Jaden are you ok?" there's a silence on the other end. It's just him from what I hear.

"Yeah, why you ask?" I lay on my back as I answer and look at the ceiling. Again.

"I was on the hospital visiting a..." His breathing gets a little more accelerated. "Friend." He continued. "He passed away. And then I see your name on the waiting list. You didn't put anything as description or symptoms."

What friend of him passed away? The only guy he hung out was with me. He never had anyone apart from me and Sofia as in his circle of friends. I'm not going to probe on him about it now.

"Well I just had a small headache. Nothing serious. Got treated and got my prescription... Shouldn't you be at your honeymoon Darren?"

"Well yes I am Jaden. I'm sorry for worrying for you."

Way to go Jaden. You hurt your best friend.

"Look I'm sorry Darren. I've been paranoid a lot. Can you call me later? Maybe around eleven or so? You caught me taking a rest and it's been a long day for me." I tried in the most subtle way to give him a hint that I'm trying to rest. But he never understood me.

"Well then. I get it." The line went dead.

I'll deal with him when he comes back from his honeymoon. It wasn't my intention to sound bitter to him. But I'm not his wife. His wife, Sofia should be there for him in his friend loss. He's in his honeymoon, he should be taking a break from everyone. Including me.

I woke up a little late. Now I'm at the station passing by Christina who smiled at me.

- Morning Jaden. The boss wants you at his office.

I look at my watch and see that I'm five minutes late. He never complaints about tardiness, not that I came here late every day.

Everyone was around busy. But there wasn't anything yesterday here. Now there's paperwork everywhere. That's strange.

I went to Mr. Greyson's office. He was in his chair reading a paper. More like a report.

- Morning sir.

- Sit down Jaden.

He was always like this. Nothing new. I sat down in front of his chair. Waiting for him to tell me something. He just kept reading.

- New case boss?

- Yes.

- What is it about?

- You.

___________________

___________________

Hello there, Charlize Theron as Jaden's mom. Mrs Kelly Black.