Rock

Maliha's arm burned her, the red lash of the whip tearing at the edges of the brand they had given her just a few days ago. The wound was raw and charred, blood now dripping from the crusted edges of the permanent mark.

The burning of the wound travelled to her head making any movement difficult. She felt delirious as if she would collapse and she likely would have if it wasn't for the thick arms wrapped around her waist like a band as he half carried her inside the large building.

Through her flickering lashes she could make out the massive white building with its arched windows and large pillars. White material swished through the arches, swaying back and forth in the cool breeze brought by the sloshing river.

Her head tilted back as she tried to put a face to the arms that carried her, but the bright sunlight blocked out all identity. The sun sizzled along her being, frying her alive. Sweat gliding down her skin as she gasped for air, the world spinning around her.

"Give her some water" rumbled a deep voice as darkness ascended beneath her eyes.

Something soft lined her back as she was lowered down, a cold glass of water placed along her lips as she gulped it down.

"Easy" he mumbled, pulling the still full cup away from her. Her hands shook as she tried to grab the glass back, but the person only chuckled at her.

Her mind was foggy as she tried to put a face to the voice but all she could see was a blur of dark skin, he was just shadows. Light flickering in and out of her squinted eyes as the cool shade of the house protected her from the unmerciful sun.

Her head thudded against his chest as she gasped for air, the salty taste of her tears melting against her lips as she shook with pain. His hands stroked along her skin, hushing her as he rubbed her extremely sensitive body. She was burning, the heat of his body sizzling into her skin. She tried to pull away, but the world merely tilted, his arms flexing as they pulled her tighter into his chest. He was like a rock, solid and unmoving.

"What has happened here," thunder rolling beneath her ears as his chest vibrated with anger. She could hear feet shifting but she still could not see, the pain so blinding she felt it pounding beneath her optical nerve.

"Tanzim, speak" he growled, his body shifting as he moved Maliha slightly.

She curled further into his chest, her head snuggling along his musky skin, her damp lips searing at the warmth of his body. His rough fingers swiped along her dampened cheeks and rubbed at her flickering lashes, the small slithers of light disappearing as his thumb blocked the light. His hands moved to her hair as he stroked lightly, gently patting on her head as he urged her to wake up, to open her eyes but she couldn't.

"Tanzim," he rumbled, urging the woman to step further into the room, demanding she speak up. She stood there for a moment, her eyes flaring defiantly before they gentled and her back straightened in preparation.

"This female disobeyed my command and so I disciplined her" tone haughty.

"Is that what happened?" Xiuri nodded a yes, her head bowed in fear. She shuffled back a few steps, her hands limp at her sides as she flickered back and forth form looking and the floor and the delirious Maliha.

"Would you like to say something" warm breath husked in Maliha's ear, rough lips gliding against her skin causing her stomach to roll.

One eye propped open revealing pale green eyes before it closed again, "she lies" she coughed, chest rattling as if she were breathing her last breath.

"Easy," mumbled the voice above her, cool cloth dampening at her forehead.

"Where are the herbs?" he grunted, fist thundering down on something that rattled through her brain. "And you," his body shifted as he pointed at someone, Maliha's head lolling with the movement.