Holy

Maliha quickly headed to her tent to gather a new set of clothes for Enzo and some oil so she could do his hair for the ceremony that would be starting soon and finishing early the next day.

She pushed the flap open and jumped out of her skin.

"Maliha."

Enzo sprinted across the room and leaped into her arms. "Guess what?"

She hadn't expected him to be waiting for her here but his enthusiasm brought a grin to her face. She smiled down at him before looking up at the figure that sat on a wooden stool at the foot of Enzo's pallet.

"What?" Maliha asked, her eyes not moving from the shadow that sat in her home like it owned the place.

"Ujarak is back and he promised that he would teach me how to shoot my bow once Kamir helps me make it."

Maliha listened to all of Enzo's excited rumblings while absentmindedly stroking his dirty cheeks.

"And did you know Kamir is getting married?"

Enzo's words jolted out of her thoughts and reminded her that they had to hurry up and get ready.

She ushered Enzo over to his bed and told him to strip out of his dirty clothes. She gathered some clean and dry clothes from outside and brought a small bowl of water with her. Handing him a cloth, she made sure he washed all the dirt and grime from his body before she handed him the new trousers for him to change into.

"Do you want a top?" She asked, knowing that Enzo loved to run around topless which was common for most of the children, girl or boy.

"He doesn't need one."

Maliha's eyebrow raised high at Makula's words, she acknowledged the old woman's wisdom before she used what was left of the water to dampen his hair. She added oil and then began braiding his hair. She added beads in all different colours and then tied the plaits away from his face except for the two that he liked to leave dangling by his face.

"Done." Maliha clapped, wiping her oily hands onto a cloth.

"You are missing something Maliha," croaked Makula

"I am?"

"Gold."

Breath whooshed from Maliha's lips as her necklace dangled from Makula's hand and swung back and forth like a pendulum.

"This is a pretty necklace. You should wear it."

After spending so much time with Makula, Maliha was able to spot when Makula was having two conversations in one as she was now. Makula had a reason for being here and a reason for suggesting Maliha wear the necklace.

"What is it?" Asked Enzo.

He touched the necklace with such reverence, his tips gliding against the shiny surface as if it were the delicate wings of a butterfly.

"It's a holy necklace."

Enzo crooned with excitement, his hand outstretching so he could hold the pendant in the palm of his hand.

"Maliha, you must wear it this night. It will amplify your prayers as a Syha."

Makula's withered finger bent as she ushered for Maliha to step closer. Maliha hesitantly obeyed and then sunk to her knees so Makula could place it around her neck.

The necklace hung heavy over Maliha's neck, her heart thudding with the energy that seemed to seep out of the gold pendant.

"Where did you find it?" Questioned Enzo.