Ray'et

"So, what do you think of, Ray'et?"

The timid voice jarred Maliha out of her tedious wrapping of the dried reeds.

Her brows knitted together as she set down her half-finished basket and considered Xiuri's words.

"I'm not sure." Maliha muttered, her teeth sinking into her bottom lip.

Maliha had caught a glimpse of Ray'et during the rest of the day but she wasn't sure how she truly felt. From what she had seen of Ray'et, it was clear that he was an attractive man that many females of the tribe had taken a fancy to, but she had yet to meet him and so could not truly gage the type of man he was. Not that Maliha believed she was a good judge of character. There was only one male she had ever judged correctly and that was Olu. The man she had finally give her virtue to had been kind and sweet but not interested in marriage. Petr had been a phoney selfish male and Ujarak, Ujarak was a man burdened by too much.

No, Maliha, was correct in her assumption. She was not a good judge of character, well not where males were concerned.

"Kamir, has said Ray'et is a gentle and kind man."

Xiuri's eyes were glued to her basket as she spoke of Kamir, but Maliha did not miss the look in her friend's eyes.

"Very understanding." Xiuri added, plucking at one of the reeds that had not been bent correctly.

"I'm glad you and Kamir are getting along." Teased Maliha.

Xiuri shied away from Maliha's words, making a fuss over her basket before placing it down on the floor and climbing to her feet to check on the food that was brewing in the solid pot.

"The meat is not ready. It still has another twenty or so minutes to become tender." Chuckled Maliha at Xiuri's attempt to avoid the conversation.

"I think you will like Ray'et." Xiuri said resolutely.

"You mean the way you like Kamir or?"

Maliha left her sentence unfinished, but the way her brow rose haughtily meant that Xiuri clearly caught Maliha's meaning.

Xiuri's head ducked down to hide the blinding smile that transformed her face into one of true beauty. The fire cast dancing, golden shadows over Xiuri's skin, matching the joyful dance that had begun in her heart the moment Kamir was mentioned.

The time that Xiuri had spent in secluded meditation had done her so much good. She looked rejuvenated, as if the burden that had worn her down was truly lifted. Maliha could only hope.

"This is probably the most you have ever spoken to me, Xiuri." Maliha mused.

The only other time Xiuri had spoken so much was when she had been sharing her harrowing story.

The long conversation was a clear improvement.

"Maliha." Xiuri sighed.

Moving away from the pot and sitting back down, she tucked her feet beneath her long skirt and pushed one of the wild strands of her hair away from her face.

"I always speak, you just never hear it over your own chatter."

Maliha's mouth gaped open as she stared at Xiuri in shock.

"Was that a... joke?" Maliha chocked on her words, laughing and crying at the same time.

Xiuri had just given her first joke and it was terrible but it was a start.

"I suppose I have to work on that."

Xiuri murmured petulantly, causing Maliha to laugh even harder and gain the attention of the other members around the large fire.