Galloping Heart

Maliha woke the next morning with a determination to make Ujarak smile. Not the fleeting and half-hearted smiles that he had gifted her and the tribe with, but a full one. A smile that would create creases in the corners of his eyes that would tell the story of a youth full of joy.

Maliha wanted to give Ujarak those lines. She wanted his heart to hurt so bad from laughing that he felt as if he would die. That he would cry from laughing so hard. As his friend it became her duty to help him when he needed it, and though Ujarak did not know it, he needed her help.

He reminded her so much of Enzo. A child who had never known anything but independence. No wonder why Ujarak had treated Enzo the way he had, he had truly known no better. Ujarak had said that his uncle Urik had 'trained' him in his father's absence but he had not said 'raised' and there was a difference. The be trained you were treated with discipline, hard hands and hardly any affection. To be raised was to be built up by parents. Ujarak had never been built up, he had been carved into a leader at the young age of twelve.

Just the thought of a twelve-year-old orphaned Ujarak had tears pricking her eyes but she pushed those emotions away. Today wasn't the day for tears, it was a day of joy and laughter.

Gathering her food supplies, she headed outside and started the fire. She put a small pot of water on the fire and then added mushed tomatoes and potato to another pan. She added mint leaves to the pot with water before closing the lid on both to boil. Maliha gathered her supply of eggs before heading to her tent. Her fingers stroked along Enzo's chubby cheeks until his dark lashes flickered open to reveal his pale grey eyes.

"Good morning ashra uh nuhanhi. "

The words slipped from Maliha's lips before she could even realise what she was saying but Enzo did. His eyes that had been groggy from sleep, glinted with tears of relief and joy as he mumbled, "Good morning umahu."

Maliha lips wobbled as he pressed a wet kiss to her lips before climbing from his bed. She sat there in a daze, her heart full as she absorbed Enzo words. He had called her mother, acknowledging the words that she had spoken whilst slumber still coated his eyes.He was the child of her heart.

Climbing to her feet, she told him to gather supplies for washing before she headed to the fire with Enzo hot on her toes in nothing but the small cloth that he had slept in.

"Enzo," Maliha called."

The boy hurried over with his supplies to the fire and put the small basket dow.

"I am going to finish preparing our food, whilst you do that, can you tell Ujarak to join us for our morning swim?"

The boys scream of excitement had Maliha jumping from her seat and the people nearby chuckling in amusement.

"Truly? He can come?" Enzo gushed, full of energy.

"Yes, now go and ask Ujarak before he becomes too busy for us."

Maliha waved Enzo away but her head snapped up at the deep voice that replied.

"I am never too busy for you both."

Maliha's heart thudded in her chest at the sight of Ujarak with Enzo in his arms. His bare muscles flexed, and his skin was glossy from the early morning sun. His face looked well rested though Maliha knew he had slept late.

He looked healthy and hot. Very hot.

"Good morning Ujarak, we were wondering if you would like to come swimming with us after breakfast?"

Her head was lowered back down to her cooking as she took the pot of boiling mint leaves off the fire and cracked the eggs into the stew of tomatoes and potatoes. She forced herself not to stare at him and instead focussed on the food.