Cresting Fire

Maliha's eyes flickered open as the early morning light began to peak through her tent. The skyline was still dark with warm peaks of orange, telling her that she had only slept for a few hours if that. Her hand outstretched as she rolled to her side.

Her heart dropped when she realised that no one lay beside her.

She tried to swallow the bitter burn of disappointment, but she couldn't stop the tears that gathered in her eyes. This was what she had always known would happen. She expected that their profound loving would send Ujarak running but so soon?

Her body felt weak and her spirit low as she climbed from the rumpled and stained sheets that had once cocooned their bodies in the throes of passion. The sheets were cold now and served as a brutal reminder of how she had gambled with her heart and lost. Even though she had predicted this would be the outcome, she couldn't stop the crippling pain from weighing her down.

Climbing to her feet, she refused to look down at her body and witness the marks of passion that she knew would line her skin. Instead, she slipped on her clothes from the night before and removed the thin sheet that covered the pelt of fur and feathers that made up her and Enzo's mattress. She placed the dirty laundry in her wash basket and began preparing for the long day ahead.

He muscles were sore and aching from the fighting of yesterday and the love making all throughout the night.

As she reached over to pick up a stray cushion, the tent door swished open and Enzo came strutting in. His small feet pattered on the floor as he made his way over to Maliha and rested his head along her stomach.

"I'm tired," he murmured sulkily. His big grey eyes implored her to have sympathy on him and let him sleep longer.

"It's morning Enzo and there is a lot of work to do," Maliha chided softly.

She desperately wanted to get back into bed and sleep but she knew that there would be a lot to do and they couldn't afford to lay about.

"I have a council meeting within the hour and I imagine everyone will be up soon."

Maliha's head snapped towards the tent entrance in confusion.

"Ujarak?"

Maliha tried to hide her shock at seeing him but she knew he could read her expression.

"I brought breakfast." He, offered out the plate to them.

Maliha waved him in and began pulling out small bowls and cups for them to eat and drink.

Enzo was barely able to keep his eyes open as he nibbled on food. His head tilting on Maliha's shoulders for support as he dazedly ate.

"How about this?" She murmured. Maliha combed the unruly strands of hair away from his face, taking note of his adorably puckered face.

"We head to the pool and gather our belongings we left behind and while we are there I can wash some clothes and you can nap."

Enzo's hazy grey eyes stared up at her as he slowly agreed.

"Perfect" Maliha hummed.

Her and Uja worked in silence as they cleared away the dishes, wiping them down with water as Enzo dozed on the bed. Ujarak tried multiple times to talk with Maliha but she was staunch in her silence. She couldn't speak without how showing her emotions and she didn't want to scare him away with how raw they were.

Once the beds had been rearranged to their normal spaces. They left Maliha's tent with a sleepy Enzo being carried in Ujarak's arms. they stopped by a number of tents so Maliha could gather up some of the Der Khatil's clothes to add to her washing.