Late Nights

The silence was comforting as Maliha and Ujarak walked to her tent. The night was alive with animal sounds as the tribe slowly began to retreat into their homes in preparation for sleep.

Ujarak's large hand rested along Enzo's back as he carried him the long distance to their tent. Enzo's night had been excitable, Ujarak had invited them to sit at the main fire and though it had been nothing extravagant, Enzo had been in awe of all of the interplays between the ruling members of the tribe.

He had barely touched his food and instead had been fascinated by the topics they discussed. The boy was a ball of energy as he asked question after question and everyone had entertained him. He was the only child at the fire and he had basked in all the attention until he had finally crashed.

"Thank you for having us." Maliha murmured as she opened the flap of her tent for a Ujarak to enter.

His steps faltered as he took in the decor of her tent. What had once been bare material was now infused with personality, colour and small comforts that made this a true home.

"Your home is beautiful."

"Thank you," she chuckled at his awestruck expression.

Enzo had helped as much as he could, picking out the fabrics and materials he liked best but most of the sewing had been done by Maliha. Their home was no longer bare but full of vibrant energy, plants hung from the ceilings emitting their calming energies into the room and helping Maliha sleep at night.

"That's his bed." She pointed to the one in the far corner.

Ujarak slowly sat on the edge of the palette and lay Enzo down before he began stripping the boy out of his clothes until he was in nothing but a small undergarment.

"He likes to sleep on top of the covers," Maliha interfered, halting Ujarak from pulling back the covers.

Colour tinged his cheeks as he thanked her bashfully. 

Maliha tried to ignore his embarrassment but she couldn't do so. Enzo had been in Ujarak's care for a few years and yet he didn't know something as simple as Enzo's sleeping preference. She didn't mean to judge, not when Ujarak was trying to make up for his mistakes but she couldn't help herself. It had taken Ujarak years to finally realise his errors with the boy and that was only after an Alhasmiji had highlighted it to him.

It was a start though.

There was a break of awkward silence between them as they finally finished putting Enzo to sleep. Maliha leant over and kissed Enzo's forehead before looking to Ujarak for guidance.

Taking the hint that Maliha was unsure what to do with him, Ujarak climbed to his feet and headed to the tent entrance. He halted by the flap before turning back to face her.

"Do you mind sitting outside with me for a while?"

Maliha's head tilted to the side as she tried to figure out Ujarak's play.

"I have a meeting soon but it's a nice night out."

"A meeting at this time?" She questioned.

Ujarak had become inundated with endless piles of work over the past few days. The day was practically over and yet Ujarak was still having meetings. She knew that the clan meeting was approaching soon and Ujarak and the council had been trying to figure out ways to strengthen the weakening bonds between the Dahsolik nation. There was so much pressure on his shoulders and sometimes he just needed someone to talk to other than council members who had their own agendas. Now that Maliha and Ujarak had established a friendship, she found herself becoming his confidant.