Chapter 16

Hair - done
Makeup - done
Nails - done
Dress - done
Shoes - done
Gift - done
Portkey - ready to go

What can I say? I like my lists.

"Lily! This portkey is going to go any second. I'm going with or without you!" I call up the stairs before hearing a 'thud.. Tap tap tap tap' and Lily arrived in the front room. I begin to giggle as she runs into the room. She offers me a glare before saying, "have you got the gift?"

I roll my eyes. "Of course I have." I say before sticking my tongue out at her childishly. We both sit ready to leave for the Potter Mansion. I honestly can't wait to go, it'll be so much fun and I've never been to such an extravagant place or party before.

Soon the portkey begins to glow so Lily and I both hold onto it tightly. Suddenly the feeling of being sucked through a tube comes and goes nearly as quickly as it came. I'll never get used to travelling by portkey or apperating. We both feel horrible but alas they are the quickest means of travel. And suddenly we arrive outside the most beautiful house (mansion) I've ever seen... It is completely white, with marvel decorations and gardens that stretch on to what seems like forever. There is a whole quidditch pitch in the garden and lots of room to spare. A beautiful fountain takes the eyes attention on the right side of the house, making it look regal and absolutely astounding. The building itself had thousands of rooms which we could see, all with an adorning balcony to look over the miles of garden.
Lily and I look at each other with wide eyes,
"Wow." She mumbles
"Wow indeed." Is my quiet reply.
As we stand looking at the house carriages arrive to take us up the long driveway. The horse pulling our carriage was a beautiful white one, with a flowing mane.
Once we finally arrive we see that the huge double doors are open, letting us have a glimpse of the impressive interior.
Once the carriage pulls to a halt we 'gracefully' exit the carriage and pet the horse before it is away to get the next guest. Mr and Mrs Potter are at the doorway to great their guests, along with James and Black.. I silently wonder why Black would be greeting people to a party held at the Potter's. Lily walks in before me and shakes Mr Potter's hand and kisses Mrs Potter's cheek before civilly greeting James and Black.
"Thank you for inviting me Mr and Mrs Potter, hello James and Sirius." She said before moving on and letting me go through the process.
"Thank you for letting me come Mr and Mrs Potter, hey James... Sirius." I say before moving into the next room, very aware that I can't call Black 'Black' in front of the Potters who obviously care for him.
The ball room was beautiful and I could feel my mouth drop immediately. Lily and I stood against the wall, talking as there weren't many people inside yet and the music was slow dancing, something which neither of us had learnt.
Eventually people had filed in and the Potters and Black came into the ballroom to begin mingling and dancing.
As soon as they saw us James and Sirius approached us.
"You're looking lovely as always girls." James said, unknowingly making Lily blush slightly (good thing she's able to hide it quite well).
Sirius didn't say much but stood there looking at me.   
"Are you okay, Sirius?" I say, making sure to use his actual name in case anyone overhears.
"Absolutely stunning." I roll my eyes at his analysis of his looks. Of course he did look stunning but there was no reason for him to be so arrogant about it. After a few awkward seconds he says, "I meant you."
Trying to fight a blush I reply, "thank you.. You're not looking too bad yourself." His signature grin appears before he extends his hand,
"Care to dance?" He asks.
"I can't dance very we-"
I'm interrupted when Sirius says, "but I can."
I smile slightly and say, "okay then." And take his hand, letting him lead me onto the dance floor where a slow dance was playing. He slowly puts my hands on the back of his neck and holds my waist. He then begins to move one step forwards, one step left, one step backwards and one step right in a very simple pattern, obviously accommodating for my lack of skill. I'm thankful for that. I match his steps and tilt my head up away from watching my feet once I'm comfortable that I won't trip... I hope. He is looking down at me smiling,
"See that isn't too bad, is it?"
I smile in return, "it wasn't horrific." He chuckles slightly and begins to walk slightly faster, making me match his pace. As we begin to get faster he shifts our stance so that I am holding his shoulder and hand while he is holding my shoulder blade and hand, much like the other couples on the floor. Then with his lead we begin to turn while walking in the box pattern. He smiles gently.
"You're like a professional."
I laugh quietly, "thanks Sirius."
"You're very welcome." He replies, smiling.
We continue to dance song after song, only stopping when our feet begin to hurt. I quickly scan the room for Lily, only to find that she is dancing with James. I smile and turn back to Sirius.
"Thank you for teaching me how to dance." I say.
"Anytime." He replies. We smile at each other and I walk towards the double doors that lead out to the garden.
I sit watching the fountain and thinking back on the night that had just passed, wondering how it will effect my relationship with Black when we go back to school.
Before I know it I can hear the countdown for the new year. Lily and James are together, most likely waiting to be each other's New Years kiss.
Eight
I smile to myself at how cute they are together.
Seven
I wonder if anyone else here is going to be without a New Years kiss.
Six
Sirius definitely won't be.. He'll have someone wrapped around his finger.
Five
The couples start to come closer together, and look fondly towards each other.
Four
Why did I even come inside in the first place?
Three
Should've just stayed outside where I wouldn't have to see the couples embrace.
Two
I'm being spun around by... Black?
One
Our lips meet.