jinki | misunderstanding

"Are you even listening to me?" Your friend demanded. "Gah, if I'd known you'd be like this, I'd've never shown him to you." She huffed and crossed her arms. You looked over at her and grinned sheepishly. "You love me~" you sang and she rolled her eyes but smiled. "He'll be here in a few minutes, you might want to fix yourself." You gaped her, "Why?? Do I look bad?" She laughed. "No, but you might think so." You pulled out your compact mirror, looking into it. You ran your fingers through your hair, to fluff it up a bit before checking your make up. Perfect.

As you were putting away your mirror, the holy foreign exchange student, Lee Jinki walked in. He had people call him Onew, though you weren't sure why. But you were sure on how hot he was. You wouldn't mind having a piece of that pie, no siree. "He's here!" Your friend whispered loyally to you and you sat up straight, glancing at him. Hubba Hubba...

He was perfect. You thanked your lucky stars he came to your school, was your age and had almost all your classes with you. Sure, you wanted to talk to him, express your undying love but there was one tiny problem. Major language barrier. He was always in the 'English Help' class in the mornings and even after school. You didn't want to embarrass him by starting a conversation when he needed that much help. And you really didn't see yourself qualified to tutor him, even though you'd love to see him more often.

However there was one plus to the language barrier. He could sit right next to you and you could talk about how hot he was without him knowing. And you relished in that.

Onew sat behind you during the first class of the day, and your heart fluttered the whole period. You subtly watched him get closer before quickly looking at your friend. You noticed he was wearing a tank top that hung nicely on his torso, his tan arms toned and beautiful. You kept the image in your head and sighed dreamily. Your friend laughed at you, "You're such a dork."

You glared playfully. "Can you blame me?" You whispered back. "He looks hot today." She laughed again. "You say that everyday. Do you know that?" You stuck out your bottom lip, "I know but I can't help myself."

The teacher clapped her hands, your friend didn't reply. "Alright everyone. Today, we are starting our projects. I have your partners listed here." She began listing off names, students getting up to greet their partners. Then, the teacher said something horrific. Your name and Onew's. You felt your heart leap into your throat; you were frozen. Was this a good thing? A bad thing? Would being partners help your nonexistent relationship with the Korean god sitting behind you?

A finger tapped your shoulder, breaking you from your thoughts. You turned around to face him, giving him a shy smile. Would he be able to understand you? "Hi." He said simply. His voice ran shivers through your body. "Hi," you said meekly back and he grinned, like you two were in on some sort of secret.

"My name is Onew."

"I'm Y/N."

"Uh..." he said, seeming unsure what to say next. He was so cute, gosh.

"I'll go get the instructions." You said and got up quickly, running to the teacher's chair where she kept the instructions and grading rubrics. You took a few deep breaths on your way there. Your heart was pounding like crazy. You'd never actually faced him like that before. He was even more attractive than you had originally thought. Collecting yourself, you went back to your desk and turned to face him.

Onew didn't speak much, but you lead him through the instructions and when he looked confused, you'd try to explain it as best you could. If only you could speak Korean...

The rest of the day flew by and you couldn't stop thinking about Onew and his beautiful face and hot body. And how much better he looked close up. The day came to a wrap and you had Art club to go to after school. You talked to your friend about Onew as you painted a fall scene. "He makes my heart hurt." You complained to her. She just laughed.

After Art club, you decided to stop by your locker and get a few things. Coincidentally, your locker was right next to the English Help classroom. The session had ended and the door was open. You heard a conversation between the teacher and a student, you guessed.

"Thank you so much for your help," the teacher sighed, then laughed.

The student then replied, "It's no problem, Mr. H. I love helping out as much as I can."

Wait... you knew that voice.

You peeked around the lockers, looking into the classroom.

"Onew, you're the best. Tell your foster mom I said hi, alright?"

You cringed.

"Will do." Onew grinned and walked to the door.

You stepped back quickly, your heart pounded. Onew... was... FLUENT IN ENGLISH??? You began to panic. That means he understood you when you talked about him to your friend. And the reason he was always in English Help was to help others, not himself! Your cheeks flamed and shame and embarrassment flooded in you. You wanted to crawl under a rock and die.

Onew walked out of the class, shocked when he saw you. His eyes were wide. "Oh... hi Y/N." He said and smiled, waving.

You couldn't say a word. Not even if you wanted to.

"Are you okay?" He asked, concerned.

"Y-you!!" You exclaimed and pointed your finger at him. "You can speak English??"

"Well... yeah." He said and smirked. He smirked, that boy.

"That means..." you said, ashamed.

"I know what you're saying when you talk to your friend about how hot I am? Yeah." He grinned brightly and slid his hands in his pockets.

"Oh my god..." you buried your face in your hands. You felt like crying. Then, you felt a hand on your shoulder. You looked up sheepishly.
"I don't mind, you know. It's not every day a cute girl talks about how hot you are, right? Now, would you like me to walk you home?" He smiled, his face close to yours.

Your heart pounded, your face still red. "P-please." Oh goodness, he asked to walk you home!! Onew grinned wider, if that was possible. "Let's go then." He laughed and lead you outside.