- - 49 - -

My eyes connect with Nicolette's for a valuable millisecond. Between the experiments and the rebellion, we've both had enough fear to last us a lifetime. I didn't think life could get any worse. I mean, I can handle the mysterious Equinox as well, right?

A loud buzzer blares across the cornfield, signaling the beginning of the end. For some reason, I know my nagging gut feeling is correct. My nerves are high-strung and ready to explode at any moment. Then all hell threatens to break loose.

Every pair of eyes turns towards the glass wall. The leaderboard statistics vanish, replacing with bold text. I squint as I skim the words. It's a set of directions.

The announcement voice returns, reading the words I process. "Inductees, find a white box and return it to your platform. Then face the monument wall to unlock further instructions.

"Keep in mind your duties to the Equinox and the nation. It's your responsibility to prove yourself to the Screeners and Equinox officials who will dictate your future. The only rule in place is follow the instructions and complete the task as quickly as possible."

Another buzzer goes off, and a million things occur at once. Inductees leap of their platforms, masking themselves in the tall corn stalks. The plants shift and wave as non-visible teens run in between them. In every direction, the air is filled with competitive voices vying to win.

But what are we winning exactly? A new life for ourselves? The thought doesn't sound likely. I feel queasy about the entire situation. It's impossible for a city of 18-year-olds to appear in a random cornfield without warning. Just seconds ago we were all in those glass boxes.

A haunting thought occurs to me. Is the Equinox a part of the Enhancement Project? My instincts suddenly feel like they're being tampered with. A competition like this wouldn't be conducted without a greater purpose.

I think the goal is to test something, whether it be a miracle drug or an injection. Everything in the nation is so interconnected, I have no doubt there's a hidden meaning in the Equinox task. I just have to find it along with the white box.

I twist around on my platform, nearly all of the teens gone from my vision. Only a few inductees remain standing above the stalks, disadvantaged in the race. I need to get moving. My body feels compelled to shut down and give up, like it's telling me to surrender. I can't let that happen, especially if this is all an intricate trap.

"Nicolette, Stephen!" I call as I turn back around. Both of their terrified faces meet mine. I clear my throat and nod before addressing them again. Whatever the end goal of this first Equinox task is, we need to reach it to ensure our survival. "We need to win somehow. I think we should start looking as far away as we can get."

"Okay," Nicolette agrees. I detect determination and fear in her voice. "Can we all stay together though?"

"Of course we will. Stephen and I will come over to your pedestal. Just stay there for a second." With the outlines of a battle plan forming in my mind, I leap off the platform. My sneakers dig into the deep soil, and I bolt towards Nicolette.

The green stalks block nearly everything in view, hindering my senses and my sanity. I elbow the greenness away from me as I run. Reaching Nicolette's platform, I tell her we'll be okay.

"I don't think so," she says, "but I'll do this anyway."

Stephen finally reaches us. Before anything else, I give him a long hug, my arms clinging tightly around him. The embrace doesn't last long, but it's our way of saying we're still on the same team. I pull away and gaze into Stephen's deep brown eyes. We both nod, confirming our stance. We won't give up until we reach the end.