- - 18 - -

"Helia Jenks. Miss Jenks evacuated countless citizens from of a textile factory." The girl bows as the final medal settles around her neck.

After another moment and a short applause, the chief commander introduces the national anthem. Our nation's flag is displayed electronically behind the camera men, and we all face it proudly.

Saluting once more, we hum the national anthem as trumpets and drums fill our ears. Instead of focusing on the flag, I think about the rebels with more curiosity than I should.

I jolt as the other Screeners applaud loudly at the end of the song. Joining in, I rush to act natural before someone notices my lack of patriotism. The cameras cut, and the flag is replaced with a live feed from a gray-painted brick room. The President nods firmly into the camera, beginning his speech.

"Hello, citizens. This is your President Hybriad. As you know, there has been a  violent attack in Grand Rapids a few days ago. But there is no reason to be alarmed. All rebel-like target have been arrested. The attack was not successful, and the Screeners prevailed over the now-eradicated enemy.

"One of the most high-profile leaders of this terrorism act is one of our own citizens. This woman has been in strong opponent of our nation, and as a result of her savage violence, she shall be executed today."

A person in a tan jumpsuit is escorted into the video by two Screeners, a dull sack covering her face. Her wrists are cuffed tightly, and her ankles have rope tied to them.

The President's tone turns grimly stern. "Let it be made very clear that any acts of terrorism or treason from any citizen will result in immediate execution."

One Screener backs away from the woman while the other guards her. One Screener whips out his gun and aims it at the hidden face.

"This will be my only warning to any tempted citizens."

The gun blasts, and the woman crumples to the ground, falling on her knees first and then her face. I cringe, barely able to watch.

The long rope tied to the lady's ankles is slung around the ceiling rafters, and she is hoisted upside-down. Her arms hang at wide angles, and her pant legs scrunch up to her thighs. I can't help but stare in fear and disgust.

My eyes catch onto a thin red line on the woman's leg. A scar. My eyes widen.

Oh, no. Oh no, oh no. That's not a rebel. This isn't a conviction. That's my mom hanging dead from the ceiling of a prison cell.

My mind flashes back to our previous reunion. She knew too much about the Enhancement Project and had to be removed. I resist from keeling over and throwing up. My stomach descends into anarchy. This is still about the Project.

My insides twitch, abandoning sickness for anger. This isn't a message to the nation. This is a message to me. The President is saying he will kill everyone I love if I try to expose his experiment. He wants the Enhancement Project to be a secret, period. I'm supposed to conform to his personal creation, not reject it. The rebels are a second priority because of the experiments.

The video screen goes fuzzy, static sounds blasting from the speakers. Startled, a high-pitched siren cuts into my ears. I spin around in fear as everyone screams and covers their ears, hunching over. The siren continues as a message shouts scratchily through the speakers:

THE BOMBS WERE ONLY THE BEGINNING.

-- -- -- -- --

and you all voted for that. way to kill an innocent woman.

(it was my idea, so i'm equally if not more guilty).

Question: Choose a phrase: new position, new date, or new threat.

(btw: the "subtle" change will be coming soon).