- - 13 - -

"21 days?" I gasp.

"Screeners, cut the communications," the rough voice commands again. "The next train will be coming in five minutes."

My earpiece clicks off, and I stifle a groan. I completely forgot about the Equinox. Now that Stephen and I are presumably enrolled in a summer internship as Screeners, our Equinox is approaching quickly: September 21st.

My minds explodes into a thousand different directions. What are we going to do? I can barely move my own body let alone participate in an Equinox.

As I try to figure out a plan for Stephen and I, another Train pulls onto the tracks. This time, 10-13 year olds climb aboard and after them, 6-9 year olds.

"Alright, Screeners, head down to the street levels," my earpiece says. Robotically, I follow the other three Screeners back to the elevators and onto the streets again. The summer morning sun glows in the sky above, preparing to give the sharp city a hot day.

The map on my visor enlarges, a route glowing in aqua blue. The cursor blinks, waiting for me to take another step. The other two Screeners disperse, crossing the street.

"Begin your morning rounds, Screeners. Interns, that means paralyzer guns out."

My hands grab a gun out of a hip holster I didn't know I had. Stephen and I pair up and head to the nearest street corner, making a left.

As my body walks, I fumble for a way to reconnect with Stephen. "Uh, call Stephen," I say, hoping that my helmet is similar to an AirPhone.

I wait a moment. "Stephen? You there?"

"Yeah, I'm here."

"Okay, good."

"Good," he says as we continue our walk.

The rough voice intercepts us again. "Screeners, make sure you're scanning the streets thoroughly for any violators."

Stephen sighs to himself. "If that guy says 'Screeners' one more time, I swear I'm going to use this paralyzer gun on myself."

I laugh, immediately feeling guilty. I look across the immaculate streets to distract myself. Somehow we're locked into hell, but no fireballs have hit us yet, and I'm laughing in the face of the unknown.

Stephen senses an oncoming silence between us. "Holland, we just have to stay together. Blending in will keep us protected; that's all we can do."

"And what about the Equinox?" I say, defeated.

"We're have to stay together, stay unified," he replies, "No matter what."

We sweep the streets for illegal violators to screen, our combat boots beating on the pavement. We carry the paralyzed guns towards the Marketplace, the business sector of town. Adults buzz around the streets, entering and exiting stores to buy necessities.

Following our maps, Stephen and I station ourselves at the edge of the sector, right near a clothing store. Guns at our sides, we watch shoppers in white, gray, and black carry on with their business. The upper-class shoppers look pristine in their white clothing while the gray middle class and black-clothed lower class dress with lesser amounts of quality and confidence.

For the next few hours, we watch over the customers until ten o'clock hits. Then, we rotate with another set of Screeners and head back into the residential sector for a sweat-filled two-hour patrol.

"Good work, Screeners," our boss says, "You're dismissed from your position once your replacement arrives."

My body slackens, back in my control. Relief floods me faster than it ever has before. I never gave Screeners enough credit for their decently-grueling work. A sudden image of the Enhancement Project Screeners flashes into my mind. I shouldn't be too quick to let them off the hook for violence.

"Finally," Stephen says once we're relieved from our shift. He takes off his helmet, sweat glistening in his hair.

I take off my helmet, too. My face radiates with heat, and the roots of my hair are soaked with sweat. I yank at the neck of my red uniform, wishing it didn't cover every inch of my body.

"Lunch?" Stephen asks, ready to exercise the first amount of freedom he's had in two years. In my worried state, I can't help but chuckle and admire him.

"Definitely," I say, ready to pass out.

-- -- -- -- --

what a nice chapter for a change. enjoy it while you can, sweet, innocent reader.

of course, i'm kidding.

and no, i'm not telling you what Equinoxes are. that's for later :)

did you catch the use of "blend" and "unify?" they tied for their votes, so i worked them both in.

THANK YOU FOR READING ENHANCEMENT! WE RANKED #83 IN SCIENCE FICTION TODAY! WHOOP, WHOOP!

Question: Choose a phrase: coincidental reunion, seeing an old friend, or discovering things in common.