I

"Bonjour, Stéphanie!"

"Morning, Gérard." Stevie smiled at the ever so lovely owner of the local bakery, she visited every morning, with one, or sometimes both, of her twin girls. 

"What can I get you today?" The man, somewhere in his fifties, asked with a rough accent. 

"Same as usual, not in the mood for experimenting."

"Oh, I see. But I'm sure your beautiful little princes would absolutely love these cupcakes, with a pink sugar glaze. They're just out of the oven!"

Stevie sighed, looking at her daughter, practically salivating. "Would you like a couple, Aria?"

"YES, please!"

"You're really good at convincing, Gérard." 

A cheeky smile across his face, he put everything into a bag and handed it to Aria, while Stevie searched for her wallet to pay. "Enjoy!" 

"Until tomorrow." Stevie said, taking her daughter by the hand, who waved at the Frenchman. 

Meanwhile, Lindsey Buckingham was strolling down the street, with his new young girlfriend, hand in hand, as she pointed at everything, expressing her excitement as it was her first time in Paris. They hadn't been dating for long, but Lindsey thought a trip like this would be nice. 

"That bakery looks great!" Kristen showed with her hand. "Can we go in for a croissant and a cup of coffee?"

"Sure." Lindsey shrugged, turning to go in the right direction. Being the gentleman that he was, he saw a woman about to open the door of the bakery, but he hurried and held it open for her, as she smiled thanking him, but Lindsey's heart stopped beating and he wasn't getting any oxygen into his lungs. He stood, as if paralyzed, in that same spot, not moving an inch. 

"Um, excuse me? It was a nice gesture, but can you let us go now?" 

"Stevie... oh my God!"

"I'm sorry, but I'm not the woman you're speaking of." She tried to walk past him, clutching Aria's hand tightly. 

"What are you talking about? How do you mean you're not the woman I'm speaking of?" He was utterly confused and so was she, unsure why some man was insisting she was someone she wasn't.

"Well, who are you? Maybe I'm forgetting something."

"It's me, Lindsey. I don't understand anything. You disappear for eight years and now you're acting as if you don't know me!"

"Forgive me, but your name does not ring any bells." Stevie felt how Aria had her arms wrapped around her waist. "And you're scaring my daughter. Now, if you just move a step to either side..."

Lindsey had no other choice, but to do as she asked, watching as Stevie hurried away from him, the girl almost having to run to catch up with her.

"Honey?" Kristen placed her hand on his shoulder, but he didn't budge. "Maybe it really wasn't her?" 

"What, do you think I've gone mad? Jesus Christ, Kristen! I've been in a relationship with Stevie, we've worked together for years! I think I know how she looks and sounds!" He exhaled deeply, running a hand through his curls. "We're going back to the hotel."

For the first time since the accident those eight years ago, Stevie met someone, who she felt knew her. But she had no idea who he was. Tears filled her eyes as usual, it seemed like she was getting better at dealing with her new life, well, not that new, but anyway, and something happened again, bringing her back to square one, making her feel scared and insecure, just like she was, waking up in that hospital after a car accident she was involved in. The doctor kept telling her that her memory may improve over time, but it hadn't, not in the slightest over these past years. All she was told was that she got married and moved to France with her new husband, shortly after - the accident happened. And she got this knowledge from her said husband, David. Although, more often than not, Stevie thought he knew a lot more than he let her in on.

The second Stevie unlocked the door the apartment she shared with her family, Aria ran inside, shouting. "Daddy! Daddy! Some mean man didn't let me and Mommy go! Daddy, where are you!"

David appeared in the hallway, frowning, their other daughter, Mabel, following close behind. "What mean man, sweetheart? Where did you meet him?"

"We were leaving the bakery and he stopped us, calling Mommy a different name."

He looked from Aria, to Stevie. "Girls, go to your room."

"Okay, but can we have those cupcakes, Mommy?" 

"Sure can, baby." She handed Aria the paper bag and went to the kitchen, to put the kettle on. David followed of course, sitting down at the table.

"You don't seem fazed by it."

"Why would I be? It's just someone, who got mixed up, that's all." 

"Are you sure that's all?"

"Yes, gee, Dave. I didn't have enough time to have sex with him if that's what you're worried about. Besides, Aria was with me." David was known for his, usually unfounded, jealousy. 

"Why are you so angry with me already so early in the day?" 

"Because of your accusatory tone of voice." She moved to look out the window, waiting for the water to boil. 

"I can hear your mind working, Stephanie, you don't have to pretend."

"He knew me, Dave. I felt that he did and I stood there, not having a clue what to do. He called me Stevie."

"Did he, um... did he mention his name?" 

"I think it was Lindsey." David was glad she was facing away from him, because his expression would have given it away to her that he knew exactly who that man was. "Have you heard of him?"

"Me? No, no never heard of any Lindsey from your past."

She sighed heavily, crossing her arms over her chest. "I'm just so fucking tired of not remembering, of not knowing who I am, was... No family, no relatives, no friends, nothing."

David stood up and approached her, pulling her into his arms, which she didn't resist. "I'm sure it must be hard for you, baby." He said, stroking her hair. "But aren't you happy with what you have now? You're a mother to two beautiful six year old girls, you're a wonderful wife and you live in Paris. People can only envy you, honey."

"It's not about that, Dave. I want to know whether my parents are alive, how is my brother doing, I want to be able to get in touch with people I used to be friends with... Sometimes... Sometimes I feel like you know more than you tell me." Stevie said honestly. "Please, if you have something to say to me, please, do. I'm so sick of feeling like a freaking eight year old! That's as much of my life as I can remember."

"I'm afraid to."

"Why would you be afraid?"

"If you reconnected with your parents, they would turn you against me."

"What, why?"

"Can we not talk about this anymore?" David stepped back, letting Stevie to fill two mugs with the boiling water. "At least not now."

"Then when?"

"Soon." 

He left the kitchen after saying that, but his reply didn't leave her any happier. Now she was convinced that David definitely had things to tell her.