V

While waiting for Lindsey, Stevie put whatever clothes she reached for into a suitcase, doing her best not to make any sound, as she kept checking on David, to make sure he was asleep and he was, completely out. She also gathered her things from the bathroom and left for the twin's room. She packed some clothes for the girls as well and woke them up, trying not to scare them, as she explained they would have to leave. 

Stevie went back to the living area, seeing the suitcase she had thrown together for David lying on the floor, his wallet on the coffee table as well as his car keys. She took a second look at the wallet. She always trusted him and never had she ever gone through his personal belongings, but... Stevie picked it up and searched for something she wasn't even sure what. But then she found, what she thought was his, a credit card, with her name on it, and it didn't say Evans, it said Nicks. David used to say it was his, so she had never really gotten a good look at it. She didn't find anything else that rightfully belonged to her and put the wallet back how it was. But then another thought came to her mind - her passport, the real one. Suddenly, she remembered a place in their apartment, where David kept all kinds of important papers and such. She was glad it wasn't in the bedroom, it was in the spare room, behind a painting, where he had a safe of sorts. How cliche... And she knew the combination to unlock it. She opened it and began looking through the pile of documents, as she came across her passport as well. She shook her head in disbelief at how well he kept it all under wraps, away from her. Again - Stephanie Lynn Nicks.

Quickly, she made everything look untouched and soon she heard a knock on the door, knowing it was Lindsey, relief washed over her and she hurried to let him in. Lindsey looked so worried, he pulled her into a hug, more to calm himself down, as she seemed relatively okay.

"What happened?" He asked and Stevie shushed him. 

"He's here." She whispered. "I need you to help me out of this place."

"Absolutely, whatever you need me, I'll do it." Lindsey looked so determined to have her away from David. 

"Can you carry the girls, I'll take our things?"

He nodded and she led him to the room, where her daughters had fallen back asleep. Lindsey carefully not to wake them up, picked up both girls into his arms and Stevie took the two suitcases and the four of them left, heading straight to the car Lindsey had rented for his stay.

Stevie sat in the back, Aria by one side and Mabel by the other, their heads on her chest, as they slept, completely unaware. She instructed Lindsey to just drive and he did, once he was far enough, he slowed the car down and glanced at Stevie through the rear view mirror.

"Where do you want me to take you?"

"Would it be too much to ask to take us wherever you're staying? I really have no one else right now and I want to have you near me." 

"Of course, I was going to suggest the same thing."

When they arrived at the hotel Lindsey was staying at, it was past 7 in the morning. Again, with the twins in his arms, Lindsey walked ahead of Stevie, while she wheeled the suitcases. She walked to the front desk and booked a room, to which they were going right now. Stevie used the key and unlocked the door, letting Lindsey go in first, as he headed for the bedroom first, to lay down Aria and Mabel, he pulled the covers up to their chins and went back to Stevie. 

"I can't even begin to tell you how thankful I am." She said, as they sat down on the couch. "I don't know what would I have done without you."

"You didn't answer me when I asked what happened." 

"I made him leave, but he came back. Honestly, I was expecting him to do so. I knew it wasn't going to be that easy. He returned drunk and he started saying how much he loves me and how he wants to fix things, but I told him no. He didn't like that very much. He wanted to show me..."

"Oh God, don't tell me that he..." Lindsey couldn't finish, he was horrified just by the thought.

"He did. He forced himself on me and then passed out, that's when I called you."

Lindsey shifted across the couch and enveloped her in his arms. They stayed this way for a while, as it felt so comforting to Stevie, she wished she could have asked him to stay and hold her this way just a little bit longer. But she drew back, wiping her tears away. 

"You should go."

"Are you sure? Can I leave you by yourself?"

"Dave won't find me here, I'll be okay. All three of us will be fine, Lindsey."

"I'll come see you later in the day."

"No, you don't have to. You've done enough as it is, really."

"Don't even fight me on this, Steph. I will be here after I get a couple of hours of sleep."

"I like it when you call me that."

Lindsey half smiled, shrugging. "I like calling you that."

They fell silent for a moment, then Stevie spoke up again. "Go. Get some sleep. I'll be waiting for you to come later." Secretly, she loved how much he cared and she wasn't even sure why. She understood why he would do this, but she didn't know why she enjoyed it so much.

"Goodnight." He said, holding onto the door handle. "Or good morning." 

She smiled and hugged him once more. "Thank you."

He didn't realize he did it as it came so naturally to him, when he pressed a kiss to her forehead, stroking her back, then left. But she did and it left her wondering, that maybe he still had feelings for her.

Now truly utterly exhausted, Stevie went to the bedroom and without taking her clothes off, lay down next to her girls and fell asleep almost instantly.