VII

It was after 9 pm when a cab from the airport stopped by Lindsey's house. The driver got out to take the luggage from the trunk, that Lindsey took over, Aria and Mabel holding each of Stevie's hands, as they followed Lindsey up the driveway.

He was searching for the keys, when Aria said. "I'm sorry I called you a mean man."

Lindsey looked over at the girl. "When was that? I can't recall it."

"It happened when you weren't around." Stevie explained, slightly embarrassed because of her daughter's honesty.

"So, what am I now? A good man?" Lindsey let his guests through the door in to the hallway of his house.

"Yes." Aria nodded, smiling, as she showed Lindsey with her finger to bend down and then she kissed his cheek. "Thank you for making our Mommy happy."

He looked at Stevie, who didn't know what to set her eyes on, as she stood blushing and he just smiled. "Come on you two, I'll show you to the room where you can stay for as long as you like." Not directly, but it was more meant for Stevie to know. "Feel at home." He glanced at her before walking up the stairs, the twins following behind.

"You have a very beautiful house, Mr Lindsey." Mabel said and Lindsey looked at her, because she was mostly silent.

"Thank you, Mabel." He could only tell which one was which, because Aria had her hair in pigtails and Mabel's was loose. "You don't have to call me Mr Lindsey though." He laughed softly. "Lindsey will be just fine."

"Okay."

He pushed the door open at the end of the hallway, across from his own bedroom. "Well, what do you think? Is this bed big enough for you both?"

"If I can get on it, I think so!" Aria chuckled and Lindsey helped her up on the bed. "Can I jump? Mommy doesn't let me."

"Have fun, sweetie." He nodded and left after adding. "Just be careful."

Lindsey almost bumped into Stevie, who was watching him and her girls interact.

"Oh, Jesus! You scared me!"

"Sorry. It just warms my heart how good you are with them."

"I've wanted kids for some time, but there wasn't any woman that I wanted to have them with." Lindsey replied honestly. "Besides you, but that never worked out for us, so..."

"What about your girlfriend?"

"Yeah, that ship has sailed I think. Pretty sure I can consider myself single again."

"I feel responsible for that." Stevie felt guilty. For about a second, until he wrapped his arm around her waist and walked them downstairs. 

"And I think I should thank you for that favor."

"You don't love her?"

"No." He admitted and quickly changed the subject. "Can I offer you anything? Are you hungry?"

"You know, I was wondering if we could maybe put the girls to bed and then have a glass of wine or something?"

Oh boy, I love where this is going!, but he tried to contain his excitement. "Absolutely. Let's take the bags upstairs and I'll show you where you can sleep."

Lindsey managed to take almost everything, leaving Stevie a smaller suitcase that belonged to her daughters. She brought it to the girls and unzipped it, taking out their folded clothes, looking for their nightwear. 

"Here." She handed them their little pink nightgowns. "Go to the bathroom and brush your teeth, then change into these. I'll come to kiss you goodnight." Obediently the girls did as they were told and Stevie returned to Lindsey, who was scratching the back of his head, looking into another room from the hallway. "What?" She asked, approaching him.