Chapter One - A Rainbow After The Storm

In under a month, a vibrant atmosphere once filled with laughter and joy remained but a memory. Three months ago, Layla Al-Hajj started volunteering at a local orphanage across from campus. A cozy bungalow where all orphans have a home before finding a forever family. The purring engine silenced as Layla approached the curb, contemplating whether to enter for her shift. Oh Allah, shine your light my way and guide me through this darkness. Ameen. The sound of cheerful birds migrating for the spring awakened her senses. The distant chirps became vivid as a bird landed on the rim of her window. A red robin. Admiring its beauty Layla resisted every impulsive movement to ensure the little robin wouldn't be frightened. "Sob'han Allah" (Praise to God,) She whispered. Children chasing each other around the lawn skidded to a halt as the front door banged shut. He was the new manager.

"Get inside! Single file! He shouted. As on cue the robin flew away. Petrified by the abrupt volume and intensity of his voice the children scurried in the direction he pointed. "That includes you too! Towel head!" he added glaring in Layla's direction.

"No wonder why everyone has been leaving without notice," she mumbled under her breath rolling her eyes.

As a practicing young Muslim, she chose to wear a hijab, a beautiful veil just like the beloved virgin Mary. Knowing that Allah (God,) is the only one who has the authority to judge a person on their actions, she ignored his racist remarks and continued inside. An orphanage may not represent happiness to many, but Layla cherished seeing the enlightened smiles of each child she met.

As volunteers, they strive to occupy the youngsters with fun creative activities like drawing, singing, dancing, reading, and the collective favourite going to the local playground close by. The toddlers gathered on the carpet for story-time.

"Little Red Riding Hood," they chanted.

"Okay okay, once upon a time..." she began when two little girls interrupted her.

"Uh, oh, Lala! Look!" They pointed towards the door.

The manager stood leaning on the doorframe blocking the light coming from the dining hall. Clearing his throat. "Towel-Head I need to talk to you right now." He demanded for Layla's attention.

"La Haowala wala kowata ela bl Allah."(there is no one who has more power than God.) she whispered under her breath passing the book over to one of the other volunteers, before heading towards him. "Yes?"

Towering over Layla he spoke in disgust. "What the hell is on your head? A towel?" he tugged on her headscarf.

Although she tried to remain calm his aggressive actions infuriated her. "My name is Layla, not towel head. This is called a hijab! And don't you ever touch me again."

"Whatever, That thing! On your head has no place in my orphanage. We don't support terrorists here" He shouted.

As his aggression towards Layla escalated the other volunteers try to distract the children in fear of retaliation, toward anyone else. But, A four-year-old girl ran to Layla's side hugging her as tears rolled down her cheek.

"Lala." She said her voice breaking.

The manager rolled his eyes. "Ha, Lala? Really? You got to be kidding me! What did you do to them to get so attached to a terrorist like you?" "Stay away from her" He tugged the little girl's arm. "She's a terrorist."

"No!"

The little girl wiggled out of his grip and back to Layla's side, this time crying hysterically, hiding behind her skirt.

"May God help you. She is just a child," Layla picked up the little girl in her arms. Comforting her as she walked back to the carpet. Oh, Allah give me the patience to handle his ignorance.