Chapter Six - The End of the Orphanage

"No don't touch me" she tossed and turned, "No, No, No," she repeated. Her alarm going off in the background. Layla reached over her nightstand. Groggy she rubbed her eyes, looking at the clock, five forty-five a.m. sleepily she twisted out of bed, her toes tracing the cold wooden floor. Stumbling towards the washroom, she started her waduook before the app on her phone started playing the Adan, for Fajr. (the call to prayer, for dawn prayer.)

Ever since Wednesday, Layla rarely had a peaceful slumber. The night terrors had been getting worse. Getting off the prayer mat she knew getting back to sleep would be an impossible task.

Layla glanced out the bay window in the kitchen with her chamomile tea in hand, mesmerized by the midnight black sky brightening to a soft golden orange. Looking over her texts she sighed.

"I really need to confront him."

Resting her head on the window frame, she heard footsteps approaching in the distance.

"Bsm'allah Rahman el Rahim Lulu, you scared me." (In the Name of God, the Most Merciful, the Most Gracious) Aisha Al Hajj said.

Her hand over her heart.

She recognized her mother's voice.

"Good morning Emi,"

Aisha walked over to the kettle of water, placing her mug on the counter. Her tone warm and inviting she questions her daughter.

"What are you doing up this early on a Saturday? Still thinking about the orphanage?" She asked.

Fixing her morning coffee, she waited for Layla to respond.

"Oh, Mama I just don't know what to do anymore," she said wearily burying her face in her hands.

Alarmed by Layla's reaction, Aisha quickly left her coffee and ran to her side.

She curled up in her mother's arms like she had when she was younger.

Taken back by the sudden affection, Aisha smiled, gently stroking Layla's soft long black hair.

"What's wrong ya albi, talk to me."

Comforted by her mother's presence Layla's eyes walled up with tears, and her words flooded out as if the heavy load that she carried had been lifted.

Trying to understand what Layla was saying, Aisha gave Layla her full attention.

"Slowly Habibti, take a breath" her mother murmured.

Over the next few hours, Layla poured her soul to her mother about the events that unfolded with the manager at the orphanage.

"That's not all ya Emi, at least there is something happier I haven't told you yet." Layla paused. resisting the impulse to smile.

Aisha could see the sparkle in her eyes. She reached over for her hand.

"What is it Lulu?"

She hesitated before deciding whether or not she should tell her mom about the studio.

"Never mind ya Mama, it's not important."

⁕⁕

12:00 pm, an alarm rang through his laptop speakers. A puddle of drool had gathered under his mouth. Unaware that he had dozed off at his computer, he rubbed his eyes, then stretched.

"Where am I?" he sleepily uttered.

The last thing he could remember was working on the pictures all night. Shaking the mouse, the screen blinked on with the last image he worked on. Layla's untouched photo filled the screen.