Chapter Two - Distractions

Satisfied with his latest assortment of photos, a small smile framed his face. Ahmad's phone vibrated in his pocket. He rummaged through it.

Nader.

Ahmad rolled his eyes.

"What do you want? Kinda busy here, he scuffed. Scouring for his next shot.

"Don't be late" Nader retorted.

"uh – yeah – yeah – whatever! About to stuff his phone back in his pocket a message lit up the screen.

WHAT THE F—DON'T HANG UP ON ME! Come home Now! Nader wrote. Irritated, Ahmad shot him back a message tapping on the screen intensely. Stop acting like you are dad.

⁕⁕

Blaring beats vibrating throughout the second floor of the Ramadan household. Music and photography, two things Ahmad enjoyed. Leaning against the headboard his laptop in hand, Ahmad scrolled through the recent photos he uploaded.

"Get your ass outside and come help us!" Nader shouted as his voice muffled through the music while banging on the bedroom door.

Annoyed he got up off the bed swinging the door open, only to find Nader's fist ready to clock him in the face.

"What the Fuck Man?" he shouted at the six-foot-four giant in front of him, cupping his cheek with pain.

Nader laughed. "Now that I got your attention TURN THAT SHIT OFF! Mama and baba will be here soon, and everyone has already gathered in the garden. Oh, and before I forget you should put some ice on that!" Nader continued to laugh as he sprinted down the spiral staircase.

"I HATE YOU ASSHOLE!" he shouted.

⁕⁕

The newly blossomed rose bushes aligning the stone-paved path towards the centerpiece of the garden, gave the vision and aroma of spring. A large white gazebo, climbing roses intertwined around the pillars of the entrance. A banner hung across the roof stated: Happy 30th Wedding Anniversary. After all the events that unfolded earlier in the day, Layla couldn't muster up the courage to tell a soul. Especially when her family had been invited to such an extravagant occasion. The surprise party was a collaborated event among the Ramadan brothers. Pleasantly surprised at the number of RSVPs Ahmad kept his distance. Close enough to capture the moments, yet far enough to avoid any confrontation from his nosy relatives, whom of which wouldn't stop trying to set him up with a good Muslim girl. The youngest Ramadan, Mona and the other guests around her age scattered across the acreage between a large trampoline, swing set, and an old treehouse. Others conversed in conversation anxiously awaiting Mr. and Mrs. Ramadan's arrival.

The DJ lowered the music, as they approached from the back door of the garden.

In unison, all the guests shouted, "SURPRISE!".

Smiles beaming from ear-to-ear Yousif, and Yasmin Ramadan made their way to the stage under the gazebo. Ever since the grand opening of the studio, no one had seen their smiles so bright. Looking down at his camera Ahmad knew the day was a smashing success. In the chaos of capturing all his parents' joyous moments. Off in the distance he saw her, No Way! Ahmad skimmed through his pictures from the park. What a small world. How do mama and baba know her?

Nader cleared his throat. "Ahim, Can I please get everyone's attention, Ahmad snapped back to reality, "I would like to make a toast to the two greatest parents in the world! We love you mama and baba! Happy Anniversary." Nader said through the microphone.

"Thank you, Everyone, for coming out this evening and celebrating such a milestone for my beautiful wife and I." Yousif said as his voice began to brittle.