Chapter Four - The First Official Encounter

"Mona, habibti (my darling) look over here and smile. there you go." he snapped his fingers in the direction of the camera.

With her eyes closed, Layla could hear the pitter-patter of her beating heart. One look inside wouldn't hurt anyone. She tried to convince herself before poking her head inside. A little girl in a snow-white outfit sat on the steps of a castle. Layla had her hand on the rim of the door as she glanced at the photograph on the wall. it was the same little girl, soft brown curly hair, and crystal green eyes, adorable. Rocking on her heels Layla stood in the threshold, one foot before the other. Too occupied with the task at hand, Ahmad didn't notice anyone at the door.

"Don't turn around, don't turn around" Layla murmured to herself afraid to be seen.

"Layla! What are you doing down there!" Yara yelled in her direction.

Her heart dropped to her feet. She was positive the photographer would turn around and catch her standing there like an idiot. She pivoted sharply towards Yara losing her footing, with a thud Layla landed on a cardboard box.

"Shit" she whispered, as she fidgeted trying to get out of the box. She was stuck.

Ahmad whispered to himself. "Who's Layla," Looking over his shoulder, he saw the tip of a blue scarf swaying back and forth.

"Mona stay here!" he said running to the door.

A soft laugh escaped his mouth. He truly didn't expect to see this. Ahmad tried to hide the amusement in his tone before speaking but couldn't. "Are you okay?" He said, crouching down to eye level.

"I..I..I" Layla stuttered, frantically searching her brain for a logical explanation why she was sitting on a cardboard box. There wasn't. He laughed.

"Need help," he said arching an eyebrow. Her cheeks burned with embarrassment.

He reached out his hand to assist her to her feet. "I am Ahmad."

Layla didn't take his hand. Instead, she stumbled to her feet looking anywhere but at him.

"I – I um I shouldn't be here" She bolted down the corridor.

"Hey! At least tell me your name!" he shouted down the hall as Layla's shadow disappeared in the distance.

Layla caught up to Yara who was standing at the doors.

"Where were you? Why are you running? Yara asked.

Still, out of breath, Layla looked back at the glass doors. Ignoring Yara's questions. Yara's facial expression changed from confusion to concern.

"You found her; our photoshoot starts any minute," Mariam shouted excitedly at them.

She sat on the white sofa in the waiting area outside of the glass. As Layla and Yara joined her on the sofa their names were called.

"Layla, Yara, and Mariam? Follow me, right this way." The perky curly-haired receptionist guided them through the doors. "Your photographer is named Ahmad; you will meet him shortly." She spoke.

The young woman stopped outside the mirror glassed door. Layla felt her legs go numb. "Excuse the boxes, you know, we are still organizing." The receptionist smiled warmly at them before picking up the now squished box that broke Layla's unexpected fall. " Oh, and before I go. My name is Amira, I will be at the front desk please let me know if you need anything," she said as she walked back out the doors. Two out of the three ladies stood at the door giddy with excitement, but Layla, her face went pale. The door opened. There stood Ahmad, the average height jet black-haired photographer Layla saw earlier. A Nikon camera hanging down by a thick strap around his neck, hit his chest at the perfect length. With a bright smile, he spoke.