Chapter 16

Mother Gothel

The woman in the hooded cloak stands at the edge of the stone bridge outside the school, tapping her foot impatiently. Class is in session, and the surrounding area is abandoned. Where is he? She had been reluctant to make the deal with Pitch in the first place, but she needs the help of magic and doesn't like getting her hands dirty. However, if he doesn't have the guts to even show up...

A tall dark figure appears over the hill, scurrying towards her like a frightened mouse. Gothel pulls her hood closer to her face until she can be sure it is him, only getting masses of midnight curls in her eyes. She thinks she really ought to chop the hair off, but she also cannot resist the dramatic look.

"Did you do it?" Her voice hisses at him. Pitch smooths his spiked hair away from his pasty face and answers.

"No. I'm afraid that he managed to escape my hippocampi underwater." She stops herself from scoffing at this.

"I should've known. And can we look forward to him telling anyone?"

"Oh no. I'm rather skilled at memory distortion spells, and I can tell you with the utmost confidence that he believes he got lost and that's why he came in last. It's a big lake, you know."

"It is. Unfortunately, that's no excuse for failing me. Perhaps I don't need your service as much--"

"--Now now, Gothel," he cuts her off charismaticially, bending down to look her in the eyes. "You and I both know that I'm the only one willing to help you, especially within your small window of opportunity." Now she lets herself roll her eyes. Black thinks he has her on a leash, but it is quite the opposite.

"Not if you can't back up your claims," she snarls before lowering her voice to a harsh whisper. "Tomorrow is our last chance, and if you cannot deliver, I will hold you accountable for the loss of my access to power. Are we clear?" She stands on her tiptoes to glare at him. He nods sullenly, then slinks off into the darkness.

Gothel looks around to ensure the coast is clear and heads the other way.
By this time tomorrow I will be sitting in the Minister's office, with all of the Wizarding World at my fingertips, she thinks. And if the plan doesn't go as I hope, Pitch can have the blame.