Chapter 20

Rapunzel

"How did you find us, Sandy?" Elsa asks the boy. "McGonagall told us that nobody could penetrate the labyrinth until Pitch lifted the curse controlling it." Sandy just smiles and begins explaining with images above his head. Apparently, he wasn't even a student here! He'd been sent by the Ministry to investigate Pitch Black undercover because of Black's recent suspicious behavior. Sandy laughs at our utterly astonished expressions, but reassures us that we have made the Ministry proud. Then he conjures up a picture of Black and Gothel locked behind prison bars.

"But what will happen to Gothel? She's a Muggle, so will she go to Azkaban?" Hiccup chimes in.

McGonagall stops at our group among all the chaos of gathered DMLE officers and worried students to answer him.

"It's up to the Department of Magical Law Enforcement to decide if it's within our jurisdiction," she says. "But I'd say there's a good chance of her going to one of our minor jailhouses. Either way, she won't be a danger to anyone else." Her old green eyes soften when they rest on me, crouched against a car with my head hanging. Eugene is next to me, a hand on my shoulder. Teachers, reporters, and officials alike have asked us to recount the events of the night, but the image of Gothel's eyes, widened in fear, is engrained in my mind.

"Pitch was right; I am a coward," I whisper, stroking Pascal's head restlessly.

"What?" Eugene looks up.

"It was all her fault, and for just a second...I thought I'd really kill her. But I just felt sorry for her." I hug my knees close.

"I wouldn't see that as a sign of weakness," he tells me.

Finally, I take a deep breath and go over to Elsa.

"I'm so sorry," I gulp.

"For what?" She asks softly.

"Your parents' death. Everyone on their boat. Gothel did it all because of...me." I wring my hands, holding back tears. "I'm so sorry!"

"Please don't say that," Elsa pulls me into a hug. "Gothel kidnapped you as a baby, Gothel lied to you, and Gothel used you because of a sick, greedy dream of power. None of it was your choice, but standing up to her was." I nod and sniffle, as Merida, Jack, Hiccup, and Astrid join us in a group hug. I feel like a sardine stuffed in a can, but I laugh.

"Come on," Merida grabs my hand. "It's time to see your parents."

* * *

"I'm scared," my voice squeaks as I stare at the dark, sleek Ministry cars pulling up to the front of the school.

"It's okay," Eugene whispers. He grabs my right hand, and Merida grabs the other. Then, Elsa, Jack, Hiccup, and Astrid continue the chain until we're all connected. I strain to look at the couple exiting one of the cars with an escort dressed in black. McGonagall, who came with us, steps closer and speaks with the escort. I can't hear what they're saying over the ringing in my ears. Seconds that span eternities pass before the woman--Mrs. Corona--turns her widened eyes to mine. I can see her eyes in mine, and I can recognize my nose in my father's face.

I will myself to break away from my chain and walk forward, stopping in front of her and her husband.

"Mom...Dad." I release the words in a breath I haven't realized I've been holding. The sweetest, kindest words I've been underestimating all these years. Suddenly, she pulls me into a tight hug, both of us dropping to our knees. It's followed by my father's strong arms encircling us. My tears fall down onto my mother's blouse, making little wet splotches on the violet fabric. After several glorious seconds, Mother lets go of me with one hand and beckons to my six friends. In response, they all pile on, making more of a dog pile than an embrace. But it doesn't matter. What does matter is that the lantern glow in my heart has grown to engulf us all.