Where Loyalties Lie

Shadows cast along the hallways of Shibusen, stretching down the floors darkly as your feet stepped against the floor. A look of indifference wore on your face. Stein had long left to go back to the comfort of his lab, where all of his scientific and dissection tools happened to be. The smell of nicotine still lingered in the air, leaving a sour scent to hang around you. Crinkling your nose, you shook your head. The scent of nicotine had always been something you didn't enjoy.

A sigh escaped your lips as you continued to walk down the stretch of the hallway. The moon was hanging outside and the gritting of it's teeth set off an eerie tone. You had never been bothered by the Halloween-like atmosphere of Death City nights. But there seemed to be something about this night that was unraveling you from the inside out- Working on your nerves. A sick feeling rose to your throat and stick there. Your stomach churned violently- As though it was going to tear itself apart.

Normally, you weren't bothered by lonely nights at the academy at all.

So why was this night so different?

Continuing down the hallway, you let a heavy sigh escape your lips once more. The feeling never left the closer you got to the front of the school. It only grew heavier and heavier in your stomach. Shaking your head, you tried to press the feeling out of your body. Of course, it only stuck like a sticker that was fixed up with super-glue. Or more like a stamp that had been blotched in permanent marker or ink. It simply wouldn't go away.

You turned the corner and your heart stopped.

Your shoulders heaved in a relieved sigh as you realized that nothing was there. Adjusting the collar of your shirt, you cracked your neck and let out another relieved sigh, closing your eyes for a moment as your heart went back to beating at a steady rate. It was certainly part of your imagination. The atmosphere of the school and Death City itself seemed to put everyone on edge at night- Unless they were very used to it. You hadn't been in Death City long, but you had gotten used to it. Perhaps it was just a fake feeing you were getting. You figured that you were just having stomach problems, and needed to properly medicate it. A nice nap would do.

Placing your hands in your hair, you gave your head a shake to try to release the feeling that continually pressed against you.

"Don't worry yourself, (Name)" You breathed, "It's just your ima-"

"Imagination? You shouldn't second-guess your intuition. It could get you killed"

You could feel your blood run cold, feeling chill as it ran through your veins. Your spine stiffened very immensely, every muscle in your body beginning to tense up. Every single nerve in your body seemed to tense and freeze- Making movement incapable, despite the fact that it was the only thing that you wished to do at the current moment.

"I couldn't agree more" You stated tensely, breath catching in your throat.

You gripped your wrist tightly, holding it to your right thigh. It was shaking, violently. So is this what fear felt like? There was no nostalgia in the feeling- You thought that had long ago been rendered incapable of feeling fear. But then again, you long cut off your connections with the person standing in front of you. That phase of your life was supposed to be over. It only went to show what kind of loops that life could throw you.

"Good. It shows you have intelligence. Intelligence is something you need when you're working for me. I require it. Well, that or blind faith. But intelligence is far more valuable than blind faith- As I can use fear to control actions"

"I see that sense of cockiness hasn't changed in you" You stated as you looked the person over, eyes dilated slightly with absolute fear. Fingers curled around your wrist tighter, trying to control the amount of shaking that your body was doing.

"A personality that has been around for hundreds of years is not bound to change, (Name)~ You should know that much" That grin that broke across the person's features was unnerving, it chilled you to the very core of your existence.

"Yes, I know . . ."

"It's pretty smart of you to infiltrate the school like this, yes?" Asked the person, "I knew Medusa would do something like this, but the fact that you followed her and did something like this for me shows not only your intelligence, but your loyalty too! I assume you want to aide me in my quest, yes? My quest to make the world a better place? It would far surpass the world that Medusa or her sister Arachnae, who is steadily building up strength, intend to create. My world will create an order, a hierarchy- If you will. Of course, you agree with my ideals. Right? That is why you brought yourself to be a teacher in this school? Because you wish to aide me in my quest to make this world a better place?"

Your eyes shifted to the side, not wanting to make eye-contact with this filthy thing that was in front of you. This person, this thing, had made you it's prisoner mentally- Through fear. Fear is a strong thing and rides closely alongside the desire to live. You wanted to live, and therefore you didn't question the actions of what you were told by people who had the ability to crush you. You were cold, yes, and indifferent. That was because this thing in front of you had sucked away all genuine happiness and emotion that you used to contain. But the one emotion it left imprinted in you was fear. After believing that you had forgot what it had been like to be pressed under the thumb of this one, awful, person- You found yourself being dragged back down under by them again.

"Your compliments are truly unnecessary . . ." Your voice was uncharacteristically quite, meek. It was quite clear you avoided the topic of you agreeing with the ideals of this thing. You struggled to muster the strength to speak out against it- To tell it to go away. But that was useless. You were human. Humans were weak, they were squishy and easy to break. They were easy to bend to another's will, so long as someone else threatened their life. You had come to The Academy in hopes that the bravery of the students would rub off on you- You tried to model yourself after Maka Albarn, though would never admit it as a teacher. You came to learn courage so that in the event of this occurring again, you would have the strength to say no.

But all your hard work was diminishing away as the person placed a hand to your cheek- One so cold that it could have frozen you from the inside out. Ironically, the touch was so light and yet it felt as heavy as lead. You flinched when it leaned down to be eye-level with you.

"Don't you think it's easier to live when I'm pulling the strings? Don't you remember how easy it was? You didn't have to worry about being brave, as you had no chance of loss. You're not a weapon or a meister, not even a witch. Only a human. There are things that can crush you. This is why I must pull your strings again, why I must take control of your actions. So that you won't perish from this world. Isn't that what you fear- Death? It's the one fear that puts you on the same level as everyone else. Well, I'm back now. You don't have to fear Death or controlling your own actions. I can do that for you. I assure you that I will not let you perish. You know where your loyalties lie, and it is not here. Come, child, let me make you strong. You're weak, yes? This is why you need me- This is why you must remain faithful to me. It all seems blurry now, how I released you so long ago but came back. Don't worry, you don't need to think anymore. I'll take control and we can build a perfect world together. Come, child" The hand slipped from your cheek to the small of your back as the person pulled you into their side with their left hand, their right hand resting on their right hip easily. "Lets find a more secluded place so that I may give you your assignment. Don't worry, I'll pull the strings. You just have to do as I say and the rest will pan itself out. You have remained loyal to me, so I will reward you. But before I can do that we must get what we need done"

Shadows cast along the Shibusen establishment, cloaking this symbol of terror in your life in complete darkness as they pulled you along the hallways of the school without fear of being caught. Your breath had stopped, time seemed to slow itself down. Your steps were slow and deliberate, thoughtful, compared to its own steps which were cheerfully delighted with the thought of how things were going to unravel in the future.

"Why are you so silent, child? You used to speak to me consistently. Are you thinking about how your friends will feel when they figure out what you have done after it has done? Don't worry. They'll understand why you did it- For the greater good. And if they don't, then they are not your friends. (Name), I must remind you to remember where your loyalties lie"