Circumstances

You rubbed your shoulder slightly, a bleak look on your face to mask the nervous feeling you felt in the pit of your stomach as you looked around the classroom at the students that were sitting in their seats calmly. They weren't expecting the worst- They had never really needed to outside of extra-circular battles. Oh, they would learn soon.

Your eyes met with the sharp ones that belonged to Stein and you quickly looked away. On a normal basis, you would have kept gazing until it got too uncomfortable and then look away. But right now, you couldn't face anyone at all. Not with the sense of betrayal that was wearing on your shoulders. But what more could you do? They didn't understand that predicament you were in or the case that revolved around what your life was. They wouldn't understand. Nobody would understand. You felt small and powerless. And what do the small and the powerless do when the stronger and the more powerful call for them to join the cause? They join up in it.

The Professor let a lazy puff of smoke that spun up to the ceiling in a lazy twist.

There was one word that the people of the school would describe you with if they knew that path that you had decided to take after the night you left late from The Academy. You knew what word that was and thinking of it brought heavy shame to bear down on your shoulders.

That word was cowardly.

But it was simply the circumstance you were in, you convinced yourself. If Scythe-Meister Maka Albarn had not been born a meister and had been born a human, then certainly she would have taken the same path as you when confronted by such a horrible creature such as the one you were confronted as. You shook your head. You knew you were wrong. Maka Albarn believed one thing: That fear was used to strengthen the soul- No matter human, meister, weapon or witch. If you ran away from fear, then your soul was weak. No circumstance would make up for being cowardly.

". . . Fear is used to strengthen one's soul" Droned Professor Stein as he looked lazily up to his class from his favorite rolling chair. Hgn. It seemed like the entire world was trying to show you just how wrong your path was. But you didn't want to buy it. People just didn't understand the circumstance. "People do bad things out of fear. Such as turn on the school. If turned on the school, the school will not hesitate to strike back and take your life. After all, who's to say you don't run the threat of becoming a Kishin Soul?" The Professor finished his lecture on the actions the school would take against a traitor.

You swallowed slightly and slowly rose your hand from the place you were sitting- Prompting the Professor to raise his eyebrow at you quizzically.

"(Name) has a question? But don't you know everything, (Name)?" Daunted the Professor teasingly at you, a smirk gracing his narrow features. This banter was returned with you rolling your eyes and letting out an irritated huff. Everything seemed to be a joke with this man. "Well pardon me for offending you" Teased the Professor once more, "State your question"

"What do you have to say on the subject of circumstances?" You inquired.

"Would you care to elaborate more on the subject?" The Professor asked.

"What I mean to ask is- If someone is faced with someone more powerful than they are and they have no choice in what they have to do, then what will the school do?" You asked as you tilted your head to the side- Asking the emotionless question as though it were nothing.

"What an excellent question. I will answer your question to prove a different point" Began the Professor as he stood up in front of his board, standing up in front of the board and shoving his hands into the large, deep, pockets of his labcoat, "There is a choice in everything. Rarely does one ever not have a choice to do something. The path you personally take is the one you are responsible for. Reap just what you sew, yes? So, with this said- My answer is quite clear. There would be no exceptions. Besides, who would be cowardly enough to hide behind that excuse, (Name)?" His glasses flashed slightly as dull eyes starred at you from behind thick lenses, hands coming up to turn the screw on the side of his head very slowly.

Maka Albarn, who seemed very disturbed by now, rose her hand quickly.

"Yes, Maka?" Asked the Professor as he watched the girl suck on her lower lip whilst her weapon sat with a rather confused look on his face- Wondering why his meister seemed so very bothered by now. "Is there something you would like to add?"

"I have a question"

"What is it?" Inquired the Professor.

"What if the person didn't know better? Then could they get a second chance?" She asked, furrowing her eyebrows together worriedly. Clearly, something was on the little meister's mind but she wasn't speaking about it.

"I suppose if they didn't know any better, that would be different as it would be a fault in how they are raised. But if someone knew better, and knew for a fact it was wrong- I doubt there would be little room for forgiveness. If any" Stated Stein as he plopped himself back into his seat. This answer seemed to lull easiness back into Maka, causing her to sit back down with a more relaxed look wearing on her face. You, on the other hand, seemed more high-strung.

"Is something the matter, (Name)?" Inquired Stein as his eyes studied your form very intently.

Observation Number One: Your muscles seemed more tense. This meant that you were seemingly bothered by something that was said or have a medical condition.

Observation Number Two: You hadn't been making smart comments lately, which meant that something was on your mind.

Conclusion: Due to the fact that something was weighing on your mind, there was not much room left for your stiffness to be a medical condition- Therefore leading the Professor to the conclusion that something else was going on behind that bleak look of yours. More so than the simple emotional stagnancy that you carried around with you. He had reason to believe that it was something more sinister. After all, why else would you be asking weird questions?

"Not at all!" You replied rather too quickly.

"Alright" He stated as he rolled back behind his desk, his fingers coming to grab the small scalpel that had been sitting on the desk for quite some time, "The next part of our lesson is dissecting an earthworm" He watched as your muscles seemed to relax and you let out what seemed to be an equivalent to a sigh of relief.

Observation Number Three: You seemed to relax after he dismissed your odd actions.

Conclusion Number Two: You had something to hide.

Final Conclusion: He would figure out what was behind that odd demeanor of yours and determine whether or not it was of mal-intent. And with that, he would see to assessing the proper reaction to whatever it is you would have by then done- Or have attempted to do.

I'll let you get away with thinking that I don't have my eye on you, (Name). But in these lulled moments of quiet normality, it would be unwise of you to not think that I do not suspect that something more is going on behind the curtain you have pulled up as a façade to hide your real act . . .