A Perfect Waltz

"May I interest you in a dance, Miss. (Name)?" Questioned a very smooth-sounding voice, snapping you from the daze that you had been in.

Immediately, you wished that the voice hadn't struck you from your wallflower-like nature. Clinging to the wall wasn't a boring task. It wasn't lonely, either. You were allowed to be left to your thoughts and that was something that you immensely enjoyed. But upon hearing a voice, a voice that requested your presence, you were obligated to answer this. As a teacher, of course. Even if you were a student teacher, it would be taboo to not accompany a student when the requested your companionship.

"Hm?" You lazily inquired, letting your eyes beset themselves on a shorter boy. Upon seeing the three white, asymmetrical, strips that stuck out against the black background of his hair, you had noticed immediately that it was none-other than Death the Kid. You, personally, had not really had much interaction with this particular student. While he had been at the lunch table that Maka Albarn had invited you to, the two of you had not even shared a decent conversation. Could you even remember saying one word to him? No. He never requested your assistance, and you only spoke to those who spoke to you first. Other than that, you were reserved. Keeping quiet and to yourself.

"I've noticed that you've attached yourself to this wall back here. As your host, I should not allow anyone to be unsocial. It would be rude and reflect poorly on my father's reputation for having a very kind school" Spoke the Kid, formally.

You quirked an eyebrow at the boy, not truly understanding the reasoning behind this. Why should he care how his father looks, if he is someone who is independent and on his own? You had never had that familial relationship with someone, so it was something that you would never in your lifetime come to understand. "I am quite alright, I don't need to be entertained. I am enjoying myself right here"

"Nonsense" Spoke Kid, his words striking you stunned. Had he told you nonsense? No student would truly dare to say that to a teacher- Not even Black Star, who, while being extremely full of himself, only referred to himself as above others. Never had even Black Star told you that the words that were coming out of your mouth were nonsense. "As the son of Lord Death, I shall not stand for a mediocre party to be held within my father's establishment. As said before, a host must do whatever it is he or she can to entertain their guests. And, seeing as how you are not properly entertained, I shall do my best to make sure that I can provide you with some amusement"

"And how might you go about that?" You questioned, noting in your peripheral vision that Soul had slunk out to the balcony, followed by a very concerned Maka Albarn who wasn't aware that the boy simply was not one who had a taste for being in large crowds.

"Clearly we are at a dance, so we are going to dance" Stated Kid, making it seem as though it were the obvious answer the entire time. You had to give it to him- You should have seen that statement coming to smack you in the face. "That and the fact I initially inquired whether or not I could interest you in a dance"

"Oh . . ." You stated dryly, starring down at the boy rather bleakly. You hadn't necessarily been listening to him when he had asked you whether or not he could interest you in a dance, after all- You had been in the midst of a daze. There hadn't been much you had been listening to.

Eyes sliding over the crowd momentarily, you trailed off with your sentence rather dumbly as your eyes caught a glimpse of the infamous Professor and the woman, who was currently slinking her hands over his right shoulder in order to enact a dance, and suppressed the need to roll your eyes by swallowing a bit. Of course that would have happened. The two of them had been something of an item ever since he had joined on-board as a Professor. For a moment, you wondered if he realized that she was a witch the moment he laid eyes on her, or if he had been aware of the few, clumsy, slips in words she had made when speaking toward him. Perhaps it was both.