Idle Chat

The fingers of two hands drew up your spine, trailing shiver-worthy lines on your back before each hand spread out on either shoulder-blade. Each hand curled around some kind of invisible presence, giving it a tug. As the creature tugged at this invisible presence, your shoulders drew up with the tug sharply and then dropped limply. From there, there was the press of a chest against your back as arms wrapped around, fingers trailing down your arms and pinching your wrists, pulling. Your wrists drew up with the sharp tug, drawing your arms up with you, and then were sharply dropped.

"It seems that everything is in place" Spoke the voice you had come to loathe with a sharp hatred. "Everything should go off without a hitch!" The excitement in the owner of this voice was absolutely real. "If we can get what we want done, then you'll never have to feel weak again. Because I'll make you strong. And then you'll prove that you won't need the blood of a weapon or a meister to be amazingly powerful. We'll wreak havoc on the world together. And everything will be chaotic, but ultimately - Everybody will answer to us"

You weren't stupid. You were quite aware that us meant me. But what were you supposed to do? Tell him no? Oh - You remembered the last time you said that. It didn't turn out very well for you. That much was quite obvious. You were too scared to say no. You weren't powerful - You weren't like Maka, who was undeniably strong. You weren't like Black Star - Who was going to be the greatest assassin that the world would ever know. And you weren't the child of Lord Death. You were just . . . You were only . . . You. Nothing special. Nothing exciting. The fact that you were even being allowed to be an assistant was astonishing. But perhaps Lord Death took pity on you.

Pity . . . What an awful thing. It's the only reason you got things, went places. Because people took pity. So, perhaps this was the best way for it to be. At least people wouldn't take pity on you. You'd be nothing but a satellite - A puppet on strings, really. But people would fear you because you would be strong despite the fact that you had no will. People would fear you - You of all people! Frowning slightly, you looked about the room you stood in.

It was dreary. The stones were damp from years of being underground. The ground was equally as damp and slippery - And the musty smell greatly bothered your nose. It wasn't too well lighted, either. But what did you expect it to be like in front of the doors of the Kishin Shrine? Candyland? No, it was exactly as it was expected to be. Just more unbearable than you thought it to be when you initially mused on the thought when inside the dreary and dull confines of your own apartment.

For a moment, your mind flicked to thoughts of the students that you had mentored for a short period of time. Brilliant students. Wacky, generally out of line - But undeniably brilliant. Undeniably strong. And most certainly heading this way right now. What would they think if they were to come and see you in this state? This sad, sad state? What bothered you even more was the look of betrayal that was going to come across her features. And the thought of her features contorting into upset betrayal pulled at something in your chest.

You brought your fingers up to your chest, gripping the fabric on your chest and tugging at the shirt you were wearing. What was this pain in your chest? What was this pain in your chest? Were you connected to her? Certainly not. There was no way that you could feel regret towards your actions - Not if you didn't care. You didn't care, right?

"Your mind is reeling, friend" It spoke to you, "You shouldn't worry about the people that you're leaving behind. They don't matter. Nothing matters but you and me, friend" That smile tugged up on its features, stretching to its ears and was wide enough that you were surprised it hadn't cracked skin already. Then again - It wasn't human. You doubted that the skin it wore was authentic to it. Maybe authentic to the body who had had the skin pulled off of its bones.

You responded to him only with silence.

"You don't talk to me! Why is that? Have I not been kind to you? I have offered you a very high position, have not? I have made you a very important person next to me, have I not? Offered you great power?" It shot out questions left and right, "Well . . . That's alright!" Exclaimed the being, and then leaned forward and pressed its chin against the palm of its hand and looked at you with eyes that screamed of amusement. "Besides, you won't have a choice but to stay with my completely, without hesitation, when you kill off the students! The school will never welcome you back, and I think - In Time - You'll enjoy my company" Its voice was practically an amused purr.

And with what seemed to be an indifference, you leaned back against the door of the 'shrine' - If it could even be called that - And let out a heavy breath. The hardest part about waiting the impending end of everything you had gotten used to was that you had to wait in general. And it wasn't in silence, as the creature next to you lazily rolled its wrist as it gabbed on and on and on about the brilliance of its plans.