31: "He Would've Smiled."

So I still didn't know what the deal was with those flowers. I know, maybe I shouldn't care. I tried that but it stuck around in my head for the rest of the afternoon. After school, I finally caught Oliver at his locker, all alone and prepared to strike.

Not really.

"I have a question," I said.

"You look like you have a question," he said. He closed his locker and looked at me.

"It's...well, what were you doing with that bouquet?"

He looked down at his shoes. I felt my stomach churn.

"I'm sorry but I just had to ask you," I said. "You don't have to answer. Really. I just couldn't stop thinking about it. But...but it's your business and I respect that."

"Thank you," he said. He wasn't really smiling at me, but he looked like he was definitely trying to express something along the lines of a smile. "It's complicated...I just don't have it in me to explain myself again. I'm not really very courageous, or brave or anything."

"You're brave," I said this with a nod. "Brave enough to tell me that it's not my business."

"I didn't mean it like that..."

"It's okay, I didn't think it was harsh," I grinned at him. If he didn't want to tell me, then I'd have to get over it. I gave it a shot and he said no, so that was that.

That was awkward...

"Hey, Gumi, carrot muncher, almond cruncher!" Len hurried over to me, Miku following closely behind.

"Almond cruncher?" I repeated. He grinned and pinched my cheeks, catching me by surprise.

"He just wants to rhyme," Miku said. Len kept tugging at my cheeks. Oliver closed his locker and started laughing.

"They're so soft!" Len said. "Miku, give it a shot! They're like...they're squishy!"

"Uwah!" I pushed him back and rubbed my cheeks. "That hurts!"

"We're heading out," Len said. "You...have tutoring, right?"

"Yeah..." I slumped. "Sucks."

"Totally. Well, at least it's not everyday, right?"

"But still..."

Len rapped a fist against my head. "No buts. You need to study!"

"Yeah, but..."

"What did I just say, carrot muncher?"

I stared at him. He tapped my nose. I blinked and he laughed.

"Give me a call when you're done, alright?" He said, smiling.

I couldn't keep a straight face any longer. Like I've said before, his smile was contagious. We bumped fists and Miku hugged me.

"Love you," she said. "I'm sure you'll do awesome."

"Thanks," I said.

"Oliver, you coming?" Len asked the boy, who nodded.

"Well...thanks for understanding, Gumi," Oliver said.

"Of course," I said. "See you tomorrow."

I watched them walk away, downstairs and out of sight. I stood there for a moment, alone, before heading over to the library, where the tutor would be.

The library was pretty quiet after school. Pretty empty, too. I walked in, looking around and spotting a cluster of tables where a few teachers were sitting. There were about five students.