7: The Sore Loser

The next day, I learned just how quickly word spread about Miku not being a 'Kaito fangirl' anymore. I guess it makes sense that the news spread like wildfire; it was already such an interesting topic and considering how Neru was around, with her cell phone in her hands and her lightning fast fingers always ready, she probably told half the school as it happened.

I found out in the morning, before I even got to school. I was heading there when I heard loud, roaring laughter behind me. Instantly, I knew who it was, but I didn't turn to look at them because I didn't want to. Unfortunately, they spotted me and their laughter quieted down, replaced by the sound of pattering feet against the pavement.

"Hey, look, it's Gumi!" Gakupo laughed and smacked my shoulder. I growled and pushed him away. Piko and Oliver were with him. They snickered.

"Geez, what is it with you?" I snapped, "Let me go to school in peace, okay?"

Gakupo's hands fluttered over his heart and he pouted dramatically. "Aw, the girl doesn't even get it," he tapped my nose and I blinked. He laughed and put his hands in his pockets, "I'm even more jubilant than usual today."

"Really?" I scoffed and continued to walk. The three guys walked alongside me, "I didn't think that was possible, Gakupo."

"Well, I heard about Miku," he said. That was when I realized.

"What?" I frowned, "It's none of your business..."

"That's where you're wrong," Gakupo said, "It's not just my business, it's the business of every student in our school, male or female. It shows the males that a girl is available..."

"Don't you dare touch Miku," I snapped.

"...and that the girls may be starting to lose interest in Kaito," Gakupo went on, "And it shows the females that they have less competition and that maybe Kaito isn't everything, after all."

"Hmm," I grated my shoes against the ground, "I guess you have a point."

"I do."

I looked up at him. "But if you even think of asking Miku out, I'll kill you."

Gakupo laughed. "Calm down, girlie," he said, "I have something else on my mind."

After having genuinely piqued my interest, Gakupo refused to tell me what he was thinking about or planning on doing. We had Accounting together and I continued to pester him like a persistent fly.

"We should play chess sometime," he said, trying to change the topic. I exhaled and put my head on my desk. I didn't want to seem overly nosy, I decided, so I let him steer the discussion in a different direction.

"I'd lose," I said.

"You can't be that bad."

"I'm nowhere near as good as you," I said, glancing at him and meeting his eyes.

"We haven't even played," he smiled, "Besides, what's wrong with losing?"

"It's humiliating," I mumbled, "And stop acting like you're the king of sportsmanship or whatever, because you're not. I know you're a sore loser, Gakupo."

"If you think it's humiliating, you should've played against him," Gakupo muttered, looking down at his notes and scrawling something in one corner, "This one guy, I told you about him, remember?"

I nodded absentmindedly. "Go on with the story," I said, a wry smile on my lips, "I want to hear about your huge loss."

"There's nothing to tell, really," Gakupo said, "I lost and he laughed in my face for a full twenty minutes. We were still seated and he just kept laughing. So I flipped the table."

I blinked. "What?"

"I flipped the table," Gakupo shrugged, "Out of frustration. It fell on him, the table, chessboard, pieces and..."

Gakupo suddenly started to laugh. The teacher stopped lecturing and glared at us. I shook my head apologetically and the purple haired teen stifled his wild laughter.

"I don't get it, what's so funny?" I hissed. Gakupo shook his head, trying to shake the wide grin off of his face.

"We had glasses of water on the table, lined up for future games," he said, "And they were made of real glass...they all fell on him and broke and left him a drenched mess!"

I gaped at Gakupo. "That's not funny, that's horrible! Why would you do that? Stop laughing, you idiot!"

That only made him laugh more. "It finally got him to stop laughing," he said, "He stared at me silently, surprised. The moment he shifted slightly, there was a cracking sound and some of the glass got into his arm!"

"That's mean!" I crossed my arms.

"But I liked it," Gakupo said, "Took him to the nurse afterwards, anyways..."

I scoffed and put my head down on the desk. Gakupo really was a sore loser, I thought, and he was childish, too. I wondered what he had planned, though, after hearing about Miku.

At lunch, I was sitting with the girls again. We had tried to put yesterday's arguments and issues behind ourselves and were talking about our planned trip to the mall for tomorrow.

"I need new hair ties," Neru said as Luka entered the room.

"Luka!" Teto gasped, "You're supposed to be keeping an eye out for Kaito!"

Luka giggled. She was acting completely unlike her angry self from yesterday. She still wasn't acting normal, though. She seemed bubbly.

"I know, I know," she spun around in a circle before hugging Teto tightly and making the redhead squeak as Luka practically suffocated her, "But I don't need to, not today!"

"What do you mean?" Neru asked. Luka was still hugging Teto, who was trying to slip away.

"This," Luka finally pulled away and waved a note in the air, "I found it on my desk last period. Guess who it's from!"

"Umm...," Teto made a face. Neru shook her head, unsure.

"Kaito!" Luka squealed, jumping around the room like a crazy kangaroo. Okay, maybe that was a bit of an exaggeration, but still, "Kaito! Wrote! A! Note! To! Me!"

"What does it say?" I was confused and a little sad. I didn't know that Kaito liked Luka or even knew her.

Luka grinned and cleared her throat. We all crowded around the girl as she began to read.

"Dear Luka," she began, just about singing the words, "I have been meaning to tell you something for a great many months and I feel that today may be best. Please wait for me in the classroom where your friends and some of my fangirls eat lunch. I'd like them to be there so that they may hear what I have to say to you. Sincerely, Kaito Shion."

Teto and Neru squealed and started jumping around with Luka. Miku met my gaze and smiled. I tried to smile back but I couldn't.

"I'm happy for her," Miku said.

I nodded. I was trying to be happy for her. I just couldn't believe it. Kaito was always so quiet, I never realized that he liked Luka. It made sense, I suppose. Luka was pretty and curvy and everything.

A few seconds later, we heard clamouring coming from down the hall. The voices belonged to boys. Miku quickly took a peek out the classroom door and then hurriedly reeled her head back in.

"I see roses!" She whispered excitedly, "And boys! Kaito's friends!"

This chapter was going to be much, much longer, but I liked the cliffhanger (okay fine kill me).