34: A Burger and Fries and Fancy Chocolate

I know, I know. It's not like I was actually alone in the mall. There were a lot of people and it would get more crowded in a bit. But I didn't think I'd run into anyone from school.

To be honest, I was glad I hadn't run into Miku. Or Kaito. Maybe the latter would have been nice though, but we had already said goodbye on the subway.

But it could be like a little date, but not actually a date...

I zoned out, just like that. Until Gakupo said my name, that is. Though I'd much rather go on daydreaming. Perhaps the confines of my own room would be a better place, though.

"Oh, hey Gumi," Gakupo let a little snicker out. He patted Piko's shoulder. "I'll pay."

Gakupo walked past him and me, to the cashier, and handed over some change.

"Sorry about the mess," I heard him say.

"He put ice cream down the back of my shirt," Piko mumbled, walking up to me.

"Huh," I frowned. "Did he have a reason?"

"What? Does Gakupo ever need a reason to do anything?"

I laughed a little. "Not really. I'm sorry to hear that he did such a horrible thing. What a waste of ice cream."

Piko shrugged. "I guess it's a guy thing. And that sounds like something Kaito would say. The ice cream part."

My face reddened a little but I kept smiling. "Huh," I said. "I guess it is."

"You want to wash up?" Gakupo asked Piko as he walked up to us. "You should come along, Gumi. What're you doing here all alone, anyways?"

"Trying to find something," I said.

He grinned. "Bet you could use the company. We're going to rendezvous with the other guys in five minutes or so. Piko can wash up in that time."

"I don't know if you can help me find what I'm looking for," I said. We walked out of the shop. I made a mental note to grab a box of chocolates, if nothing else, for Miku.

"Well, what are you trying to find?"

I put my hands in my pockets and looked up at him. Piko was running towards the washrooms.

"I don't know yet," I said. "A present. Miku's birthday is coming up and if all the girls came to the mall together, it'd be obvious what we were up to."

"Is this Neru's idea?"

I nodded. "You could guess?"

He laughed. "She told me!"

"She told you guys?"

He shook his head. "She told me," he said softly. "I'm special."

I scoffed at him. He kept laughing and we followed Piko.

"That was horrible of you," I said. "What you did to Piko."

"It's what guys do," he said.

"He didn't seem too happy about it."

Gakupo shrugged. "So, you wanna hang out with us? We just got here ten minutes ago."

I didn't have anything to lose by saying yes. It'd be nice to have company.

"We could help you decide," he said. "There's me, Piko...the rest of the guys...no girls, though."

"Well, if you can help me out, then I'm all for it," I said, just as my stomach growled. I made a face and he tousled my hair.