18: "I love you."

Time passes quickly sometimes. Other times, it goes by slowly but when you look back on it, it feels like the days zipped right by.

The latter was how I felt on the last day of school, as I said goodbye to Len, Miku and the others. My heart was pounding. Exams were over. The school year had ended, just like that.

"We're still going to see each other!" Teto smacked a breadstick against my head. "We're going to kidnap you and Miku sometime this summer!"

I laughed nervously before squeaking as Miku wrapped her arms around me and squeezed my life right out. Len tousled my hair and Teto continued to drum breadsticks against me. Oliver was chuckling at the sight. Neru was texting.

"And you're coming to my place again," Len grinned. "And we're going to go to the park, and the beach, and the movies, and the amusement park, and Hawaii, and..."

"Okay, okay!" I pushed them all back, giggling. "Just 'cause I live further away and it's summer doesn't mean I'm disappearing!"

"You better not!" Oliver said. "I spent a ton of hours studying with you!"

"Ugh..." I slumped. "That exam didn't go too well..."

"Well, it didn't go too well for me, either," Oliver answered. Len put his hands on my shoulders and smirked.

"See you in a few days, Gumi."

I nodded. "For sure," I said. Miku hugged me again. "Bye, you guys."

"We will see you later!" Miku said sternly. "Mark. My. Words!"

I pushed her away playfully. "Right, right," I nodded. "See you!"

They all clamoured away, laughing and talking as they did. I let out a soft sigh and leaned against the clear glass pane of the bus shelter, my eyes trying to focus on the sky. I kept thinking about him. I thought about him a lot more than usual as time had gone by.

He'll show up any minute now...I hope...

My eyes scanned the area, hoping to catch a glimpse of a head of dark blue hair. My heart was racing, faster than ever. I expected it would go faster when I actually told Kaito. I had rehearsed this in my head so many times. My legs were shaking and he wasn't even here yet.

I asked myself if I was being hasty. Over the past few weeks, I had started to find myself breathless whenever Kaito was around. The memory of me nearly kissing Kaito was still vivid, like the memories of everything that happened that day.

Even if he says no, I have to tell him. I have to, I have to, or else I'll burst. I hope he says yes, but I have to tell him either way.

I didn't care what Teto, Neru, Luka or any of the other girls thought of me if Kaito said yes. I loved him and I had to tell him that.

No matter what.

I gasped when I saw Kaito, walking briskly towards the bus stop. He was looking around at his surroundings, his phone in one hand. The intense, blinding sunlight made his mop of cobalt blue locks shine brilliantly. I tried to stop myself from shaking so much. I was feeling downright feverish.

Mustering up some courage, I waved to him and smiled. He waved back slowly. I smiled, trying to stay calm. I had to keep myself composed if I wanted to tell him, or else I'd probably have to go all summer without getting another chance.

"Hey," he smiled at me. It was that small, faint, perfect smile of his, the smile that made my heart flutter. That fluttering and shortness of breath was proof, to me, that the feelings I held for him were different than anything I had ever felt before.