05. Over The Edge

I double checked my appearance in the mirror above the marble vanity before leaving. I was wearing a black leather crop top with matching high-waist shorts. Around my neck was a long gold necklace. I made sure that my purple-dyed hair was perfectly curled and my berry colored lipstick wasn't smeared. I put on my favorite jacket and headed out of the door. The air was getting cooler as we were entering mid-September. As I sat in the back seat of a yellow taxi, I took in the scenery. The leaves were morphing into beautiful shades of orange, red and yellows. I smiled to myself. I was on my way to Xavier's party in Midtown, where he lived. I was excited to go but at the same time my stomach was turning. The only friend that I had there was Astrid. As for Xavier, I wasn't sure about him. 

When the driver pulled up to an extremely tall apartment building, I was amazed. Walking into the building, I was greeted by a doorman wearing a long red and navy blue coat. He tipped his hat, opening the door for me. The lobby was beyond gorgeous. The marble floors were the cleanest I had ever seen, and people sat quietly on leather couches, reading newspapers and drinking from steaming mugs. I was required to show my I.D to the receptionist at the front desk to confirm that I was on the guest list. When they didn't find it, they called Xavier's personal number. 

"Let her up. She was a last minute invite." I could hear his deep voice over the phone causing my stomach to turn. I couldn't fathom why I was so nervous. I was no longer nervous to meet new people, or to talk to Astrid, but my heart began to beat faster at the thought of conversing with him. I made my way up to the fourteenth floor of the skyscraper. When the elevator door opened, I could hear the music blaring from the hallway. Fetty Wap's My Way was playing. As I walked toward the open door at the end of the hall, I observed the people hanging out in the hallway. They had beer bottles in their hands as they danced, talked, and made out. I was shocked that the building even allowed such a celebration. When I walked through the door, I had to keep my jaw from dropping. Xavier lived in the most beautiful loft I had ever seen. His floor to ceiling windows had the perfect view of the Hudson River and the George Washington Bridge. The 12 foot ceiling was vaulted and the floor was a polished dark bamboo. In the far right corner of the gigantic room was a rounded staircase leading up to the next level that looked over the rest of the loft. Where I'm from, living in a place like this would be a dream come true.

"Charli!" Astrid called my name as she looked down at me from the upper level. She stood next to Xavier with a shot glass in her hand. I could have sworn that she had the eye sight of a hawk. I smiled at her before pushing my way through the dancing crowd. On my way to the staircase, I passed by the Dj who just changed the song to Bitch Better Have My Money by Rihanna. When I got to the top of the steps, Astrid hugged me once again. I didn't hesitate this time. "I'm so glad you came! I thought I was gonna' have to go without seeing you first." She explained. My eyebrows raised. 

"You're leaving?" I asked, getting nervous again. If she left, I would be left alone with her boyfriend and that's the last thing I wanted. She nodded her head, running her hair through her loose curly hair. I pouted even though I didn't mean to. Xavier chuckled and Astrid giggled before responding.

"I have to pick up my sister from her dance recital but I had to show my face." She said. I nodded letting her know that I understood. "Don't worry, X will introduce you to some new people." She looked up at him as he stood behind her. She turned around to kiss him before heading down the steps to leave. I stood quiet, looking over the loft and watching everyone dance. Seeing them enjoying themselves made me want to enjoy myself as well but I wasn't comfortable in my environment yet. Before I knew it, Xavier was holding a glass out to me. 

"You really have to loosen up." He said with that boyish smile on his face. My dark brown eyes darted back and forth between him and the glass. It was filled half way with clear liquid. It looked like water but I was positive that it wasn't. Xavier raised his eyebrows. "It's just Vodka. I didn't poison it or anything." He joked. I couldn't help but smile.