10: Crossing of Paths

Mark's POV

"Why won't you just admit to it?"

"Because I didn't do anything wrong."

This was all I had heard the entire day of travel. It was Yami, demanded to know why Jack was killing everyone and requesting that he admit to it while Jack defended himself by saying that he didn't do anything. Wade walked up front with me while the two put themselves in the middle and continued their squabble. Bob was in the back, claiming that since Yami wasn't paying attention and it was hard to focus, he was sure that someone was following them. He promised to be vigilant, but at this point no one could hear past Yami and Jack.

Part of me wondered what was wrong with Yami. Was he letting the exhaustion and the feeling behind the games get to him? Was it that he wanted it to be real so he could stop it, or was he blaming Jack because he was scared and didn't know what else to do? Another part of me wondered if Yami was right, and if I was defending nothing but a murderer. Bob and Wade claimed to have taken no sides in the squabble, but they'd been weary about Jack the entire day, and they stuck close to Yami, unsure of how to act all of the sudden around the Irishman. As much as it angered me, I didn't want to say anything and risk Yami going off on me.

I did believe that Jack was innocent despite the evidence racking up against him, but Yami's constant squabbling and accusations made me wonder if he was just going mad, or if he actually saw Jack leave and kill someone. This entire thing was rather confusing, and I didn't know what was right or wrong. All that I was sure of was that Jack wasn't the kind of person for unnecessary violence against another human, and I knew that at least. I would continue to defend him for this, whether Yami liked it or not.

"Look, just admit it. You killed Toby, and once you do, we'll kill you quickly." Yami said, and at that point I snapped.

"Yami, shut up." I said sharply, turning my head so he could hear me. "We will not be killing anyone. If you can't control yourself, then at least abide by 'innocent until proven guilty.' Until we know for sure who is running around and attacking people, be silenced." Yami seemed to find sense in my words, and his mouth snapped shut. Jack shot me a grateful glance that I caught out of the corner of my eye. There was silence as we continued walking, and I sighed. It was nice.

"Did you just try to trip me, you fucker!" Jack exclaimed from behind me.

Almost nice.

We continued on through the afternoon with the pair bickering behind us, and I simply wanted to smack them both on the head. Wade said nothing beside me, only offering me a couple of crackers as we walked which I took with a nod of gratitude. We tuned them out, eating the crackers  and focusing on where we were going. It felt somehow as if the days were getting warmer, and the sun brighter. The black clothes were a mistake, but I could only assume that this was Sam's idea of making it a bit more of a challenge.

Sam. What the hell was that guy doing sitting in the hotel and watching as us we went through our troubles? I was sure that he had a room full of screens that we could be watched on, and I felt sick at the thought of him watching people die. Was he aware how realistic he had made this game? Part of me wondered if he did this on purpose, just to test the moral values of the people who went through here. Obviously, one of us was insane as people were dying left and right, but that train of thought brought me right back around to Jack and Yami bickering behind me about whether or not the Irishman had murdered everyone. I sighed.

"This is getting on my nerves." Wade spoke for the first time, and I nodded in agreement. I turned to the pair.

"Again, shut up, please." I said. "We can literally figure this out at any other time, but sitting here and yelling at one another when we're walking through the woods makes us an easy, open target." I reminded them, and I looked up as Bob spoke.