13: What is the Truth?

Mark's POV

We had been rather fortunate to have been where we were last night. We had been walking through the woods after Bob had passed along with the members of Smosh, and a couple other cannons went off, one we found out later being meant for Yami, and a large storm suddenly swept the area. I had shoved Jack under a large grouping of trees, and dragged Wade as I followed him. It wasn't completely water proof, and some of the rain still dripped through, but the trees were clumped close together, letting more of the rain slip right off onto the ground. We had to share our dry area with a few bugs who were also looking to get dry, which wasn't the most comfortable thing to know, but it was all we could manage, and so we decided to sleep right there. We figured that absolutely no one would be out in weather like this, even whoever was hunting people would take shelter, and so for the first night in several, we got some rest.

The morning after, I was awoke by the sun, and I was the first one to wake. I yawned, sitting up and stretching my limbs that weren't nearly as sore despite having slept in a ball on the ground. Our things were still with us, and none of us were injured or missing. Well, that was inaccurate. The group felt empty without Yami or Bob, but they had both died. I tried not to recall how Bob died in my arms, and swallowed roughly, shifting my focus to how Yami had died. Once the fight broke out, Yami had been right behind us. After Bob had died, there was a couple of cannons, and Yami's face showed in the sky, just like the dead in the Hunger Games had. Of course, I had hoped it was a trick of the mind as I had to step out into the wind and rain to see, but as much as I wanted to disprove the facts, I knew that they were truthful, and went to bed with a guilt-stricken heart.

Jack awoke last, Wade having been disturbed by my moving. The pair was quiet as we sat under the trees, looking out through the branches at what we could see of the world, now illuminated by the sun and sparkling from the rainwater left over. I wondered what the plan was, if it was still the same even though half of us were missing. It felt different, and I didn't like it. I missed Bob and Yami already, although the last that I could remember of Yami was his accusations against Jack. Then, as I was focused on Bob dying, anything could have happened. Yet, my brain reminded me that Jack had shot Ian, and helped to bring him down. He had cried alongside us in the end, and despite not knowing what happened as I held Bob, I had a feeling that he was there. I couldn't keep accusing him, not without the evidence against him, and I wouldn't let the last words of Yami haunt me.

"Holy shit!" the exclamation came from behind me as I stepped outside, gathering my things and stretching as I stood up. The sun felt nice against my skin, and I turned around at the words. Wade looked too, having been coming to join my stretching phase, and we looked to see Jack attempting to move from the tree, but brushing the branch and causing a chain reaction from several branches above him and dumping water on himself. I started laughing, hard enough to make my stomach hurt, and it felt good to laugh. Jack laughed as well, shivering from the chilled water as he strode into the sun. I motioned us forward, and after a moment we began walking again, unsure of where to go or what to do. Yami's disappearance was unsettling to us all it seemed, and we remained quiet for the first part of movement outside the cave. After awhile, though, I felt it was necessary to bring up the conversation.

"Do you guys know what happened to Yami?" I asked, turning to glance at each of my friends. I stood in the middle, and Wade was to my right, Jack to my left. Jack frowned, looking down and wondering. Wade only grimaced, and I continued, urging the conversation earlier. "I mean, after Bob died, he just disappeared, and then he and one other person also died. What the hell happened?"

"I'm not sure." Jack responded, scratching the back of his head. "Last I remember, I was too focused on the fact that the Ian guy came out of nowhere to worry about where Yami went. Honestly, Mark, I thought he was going after you next." I turned to the Irishman, who bit his lip in concern, and I smiled softly at him. He stared down at his feet as we walked, and then Wade spoke up.