18: And Then There Was One

Felix's POV

I'd never felt more on my own before in my life. Even as a teenager, going through middle school or anything like that, this was the true meaning of alone. There was no one around, and nothing to comfort me except the warmth of the sun and the sounds of the birds overhead. These noises, although drowning out the option of complete silence, were of no solace to me.

At this point in the games, I wasn't sure what to do. My entire goal had been to protect Marzia, and after accusing Cry and going after him, I had lost them both. I was on my own, and had no goals whatsoever. With them, we had talked about home, and fun times we had. We made promises to game with everyone upon arriving at our homes, and we had told stories around the fire. We defended one another from wolves, and the one time that I grow slightly suspicious of my best friend, I lost him and my girlfriend. It wasn't worth it.

Even now, I was really unsure as to whether or not they were alive. Sam had said in the beginning that we would head back to the hotel, but since he had bypassed even telling us that the realism was on a level far beyond extreme, I wondered if they even got home. I began to tear up at the thought of never seeing any of them again, and I wiped my eyes rather quickly. I didn't need anyone to see this weakness, as a part of me remembered that this was being recorded, and the thought struck me once more.

This was just a game.

I recalled the amount of blood still stained on the ground from Cry, and the man Chilled. I thought about how Marzia bled onto my jacket and I spent an hour washing it out and crying over her. I remembered how she died in my arms before fading away, and I remembered Wade disappearing too, after I shoved nearly the entire length of my katana through his back. I recalled the wolves and how our fire had made their eyes glow as they circled us, followed us, and how Cry had risked his life to save us more than once, staying awake for days on end as he wanted to be the one to protect us.

If there was anyone who I owed an apology to, it was Cry. He had risked everything for Marzia and I without anyone asking him to. He had stayed up several nights and days in a row to protect us, and had worked hard to watch over us and even provide us with food. The one night he couldn't catch anything because of the storm, I had foolishly angered him and sent him away, resulting in the death of my only two companions. Even now, sitting around the fire that I had set up for dinner, I felt sick to my stomach with guilt. The sadness pressured in my chest again, and I hung my head, staring into the flames.

These two were of the utmost importance to me, and now they were gone. I sighed, unsure of how to feel and what to do. Since the morning had started, I had only moved several hundred meters into the woods only to make a fire and sit in front of it, staring. I didn't want to move, I didn't want to leave, and I had no intention of doing anything until I knew what I should do. My only goal was to keep Marzia alive, and I had failed at that even. I clenched my teeth at this thought, and then sighed. I needed to keep moving, and to hunt if I was to survive, but without Marzia, I didn't have any motivation to do so. I didn't want to leave this fire, I just wanted her back.

There was a rustle in the bushes to my left.

I looked up, my sword at my side and I only looked at it before looking back up at the person who emerged from the bushes. The man held a weapon, and the way he stood and smiled at me, I instantly knew who it was. This man was responsible for the deaths of everyone since day one, and he was responsible for me blaming my best friend this entire time. He was the reason that they were dead ultimately, and the reason that I was stuck here by myself, sitting next to this fire.

For a few moments, neither of us even moved. Fear took hold of my chest, but it didn't fight off the anger that I had either. It rose in my throat like bile, and I curled my upper lip as I stared at him. I was disgusted that he chose to do this, and I knew that it was time to grab my sword and get up to fight him.

Before I could even move, he launched himself forward, slashing at my chest.

~~~

?'s POV

I had been tracking this group for some time. A trio who was moving rather quickly. There was one man at the front, and the other two followed, close together. They seemed to have stopped for the storm, and I also lost track of them. I followed the general direction that they had gone, and still couldn't find them. As much as it angered me, I knew that I needed to focus more on where they had gone rather than the fact that I couldn't see it. Once I had finally gotten a hold of the trail once more, I had found my way to a grassy clearing. In the middle was a beautiful girl, and since there was only a single girl left, I knew that this was Pewdiepie's girlfriend. I considered taking her out before her boyfriend showed, but I was beat to the punch by Wade, who attacked her out of surprise. I watched as Pewdiepie returned, and left shortly after that, deciding that I could come back at a later time to finish this job.

I waited until the evening, when the cover of the darkness would hide me well from what little players were actually left. It was easy to locate the Swede once more, as he set up a fire and had kept it fueled the entire day, a pillar of smoke appearing from a single spot. He hadn't moved it seemed, and in the dark the fire was easy to spot. I made my way to it, and I could see him through the trees before even arriving.

His eyes were red, and puffy from lots of crying. This was expected, as his girlfriend had just passed and I knew that I would probably react the same in a similar situation. His hair was messy, greasy, and all over the place. He looked as though he hadn't bothered to patch a wound on his shoulder, and his facial expression was narrowed, as though he was deep in thought and was trying to figure something out.

I made the bushes move without meaning to as I stepped out, and his head snapped towards me. I was afraid that he would pick up the weapon beside him, a long, silver katana that simply looked sharp, and would actually put up a fight. Instead, we simply stared at one another, and he looked over my features. He didn't wear the same look of fear as others did, even when I smiled at him in a rather creepy fashion. His face was anger, and it was still shaped as though he was thinking profound thoughts. It confused me, and his eyes flickered to his sword below him.

He wanted to fight me, but something was going through his head. He looked angry, upset, and overall completely done being in this arena. I couldn't say that I blamed him as his girlfriend and his best friend had both just died on the same day mere minutes from one another. He lost everything he was fighting for in this arena, and a pang of pity hit me softly, in the chest. I pushed it away as he glanced once more at his sword, and my grip on my weapon tightened quickly.

He blinked; I lunged forward.

~~~

A short filler chapter again, this one just to signify the death of Felix unfortunately :(

After this there's only three chapters left. Nervous? Is there too much unresolved? Guess we'll just have to see!

Hope you all enjoyed, have yourselves a frantastic week, and I'll see you all on Friday!

~Jay