Chapter 8 - Discovering The Cellar

**NIGHT TIME**

Hard rain falls around the cabin.

The old-fashioned pendulum clock on the wall shows that it's three in the morning.

A SCREAM IS HEARD.

David DARTS DOWN THE HALL towards Mia's room, wearing his boxer shorts. Natalie runs behind him, wearing David's T-shirt. Together, they make one fully clothed person.

There's a bandage around David's burned hand.

David looks inside the room and finds Mia in the throes of hysteria. Olivia's holding her back, trying to calm her down.

"THAT FUCKING SMELL! I CAN'T STAND IT ANYMORE! LET GO OF ME!" Mia is in tears, screaming at the top of her lungs.

Mia twists and turns, trying to break free from Olivia.

"It's okay, it's okay. We're right here.. Calm down, honey, calm down. Breathe, baby, breathe." Olivia hugs her tight.

Mia's rage turns into an even harder desperate cry.

David is shocked by Mia's violent behavior.

-----------------------------------------------

A needle sinks into the palm of Mia's hand. She's calm now, curled up on the couch, as pale as the moon.

The group sits around the living room in their night clothes.

"Maybe we should call a doctor." Natalie suggests.

Olivia gives her a short look, she doesn't appreciate the comment.

"Withdrawal is kicking in hard, baby. These are ten milligrams of Diazepam, it should get you through the night." Olivia says to Mia.

"I.. I just can't stand this stench no more..."

David can't hide how worried he is; it's all over his face.

"What's fucking wrong with you people?! You can't smell that?"

David steps outside, shaking his head.

"David?" Natalie asks, concerned.

"Something's dead and it reeks."  Mia says.

Olivia says with a patronizing tone, "There is no smell. You're just extra sensitives right now. It's a normal part of..."

Mia interrupts agressively, up in Olivia's face. "FUCK OFF!"

Olivia is suprised. "Hey...."

David walks back in with the dog. "Come on Grandpa, help Mia." David looks at Mia. "If there's something rotten here, he'll find it."

Eric rudely says, "He's too old. He can't smell his own ass."

Grandpa heads for Mia first and licks her hand. Mia is not in the mood, not even for Grandpa.

The dog stands perfectly still for an instant. Suddenly, he looks toward the corner of the room. Something catches his attention.

Olivia turns to David. "Please, David. We already cleaned the whole place up! There's no--"

The dog walks over an old rug, sniffing and scratching it.

"Wait.. THE CELLAR..." David interrupts.

Mia stands and walks toward the rug.

"FUCK!" She screams.

David pulls the dog off of the rug. Mia yanks it back. When they see what's underneath, all of their expressions reflect the same thing-- WHAT THE HELL?!

A BIG BLACK  BLOODSTAIN disappears underneath the trapdoor of the basement.

Mia vomits all over the floor.

-----------------------------------------

Deep inside the dark basement, the trapdoor creaks open, revealing a silver of light. The friends all stare down the steps.

A dank stench hits them all at once. They cover their mouths and noses.

Mia looks at Olivia. "What's your expert diagnosis now?"

"It fucking stinks." Olivia replies.

They all look down toward the darkness of the cellar.

Eric and David head down the long steep steps.

David leads the way. "Careful, man. This wood is old and humid."

"Yeah. Like the rest of the whole fucking house."

As they continue down, we see that every step is smeared with blood, as if someone dragged a body down there.

"What the hell?" David says with a weird expression.

When they get to the base of the steps, David flips a switch, poorly illuminating the place.

The basement has stone walls covered with old stuff and rusted tools.

"There's nothing in here." Eric looks around.

David points at a door in the far side of the cellar. "Back there."

Eric gags. He can barely take another step. "Can't we just call someone? Like a service?" 

"Yeah. sure... 'Backwoods De-Stank-ifyers'." David sarcastically replies.

The closed door leads to another room. Eric covers his nose with his hand as David inches closer to the door, prying it open.