Chapter 13 - There Was Something In The Woods

**CABIN - DAY**

David's Jeep is parked outside the cabin. A torrential downpour has begun to fall.

Eric's deep in the armchair, pounding his ankle againt the base of it furiously.

David, at the table, punches the buttons on his phone. He tosses it down in frustration. "No reception."

Olivia exits Mia's room.

"How is she?"

She rolls her eyes and shrugs. She doesn't seem worried. "She's talking about a zombie coyote, and how the forest attacked her. I dunno. Withdrawal crazy talk."

"I really think we should take her to a hospital." Natalie says to David.

"Yeah, aren't we a bit in over our heads here?"  David speaks to Olivia.

Olivia takes this as a personal attack. "Hey! I'm giving her the exact same treatment she would get at a hospital, minus the judgement. Do you want strangers treating your sister like some worthless junkie whore?"

The epithet rattles David. Everyone's solemn for a moment.

"Okay, what about the wounds on her arms?"

"I pulled some thorns out. Looks like she ran into a thorn bush out there." Olivia breaks eye contact with David. "She probably did it on purpose."

"What?"

"David. She'd probably do anything to get out of here from now on."

David thinks about this.

-------------------------------------------------------

David enters her room. It's almost completely dark in there. Mia's curled up on a corner of the bed, not moving at all. Both arms are damaged.

"Hey, Mia. You've gotta get out of those clothes. Take a shower."

He sits down next to her on the bed. Her hair is hanging over her face, obscuring it completely. The effect is eerie. David leans in to gingerly push her hair aside.

Mia suddenly sits up and violently clutches his arm. Her face emerges from the shadows and she looks more unhinged than ever.

"David, please. Please. Please. You. Have. To.. Get. Me..... Out of here." She whispers, trembling.

She looks around the room, paranoid.

Despite himself, David shrinks away from her touch, peeling her band off his arm. "No one said this was going to be easy."

"No. No. You. Don't. Understand.... There. Was. Something. In the woods, David."

Her eyes dart around the room. David frowns.

".....And it's here... With us..... Now."

"What? Here? In the room?"

Mia nods her head. She's still trembling.

David gets up and worms his arm out of her desperate grasp, shaking his head at her. "You were always the smarter one of us kids. You know it's all in your head."

Mia looks at him, terrified.

"Change your clothes, take a shower, and try to get it together. You'll start to feel better tomorrow. Soon all this will be over and you'll be glad we were such assholes."

Mia has a 'Please don't leave' look on her face.

David leaves the room.

The door shuts and Mia is left all alone in the dark. She can barely breathe. She's utterly terrified.

She looks around the room again, slowly.

Lightning flashes and Mia spots a figure standing on her nightstand on the other side of the room.

The lightning flashes two more fast times in a row. It's a lady that looks exactly like Mia except demonic looking. She's sitting on her feet and hands, like a dog, and makes a hissing noise at Mia. The lady's tongue is split in two and is covered in blood from head to toe.

Mia gets up and runs to the bathroom.

When she looks into the mirror, what she sees is horrific.

There for just the briefest of flashes is:

Mia's face, clawed apart, part of her skull revealed and blood gushing from her mouth.

She sticks her tongue out and it's split in two like a lizard's.